Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Selection By Color?

NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
Importing Rhino models is a nice feature to have but I lose layer grouping completely. But I do retain my surface and solid colors from those layers. However, to change all surfaces of a given color (layer) to be transparent, I cannot select them all at once. Various other file formats like IGES or STEP don't help retain layer grouping. Here I want to select all the inner wood panels so I can make them translucent and thus see my interior design. And also to be able to hide them all as I work on the interior design.

Do I need to learn Featurescript to do this? Is it possible to control Appearance from assigned colors using Featurescript? I'm happy to learn it, over time, if so.

I can laboriously (manually) group the tan panels in an assembly but then can't do anything with their Appearance setting in an assembly tab.

In Rhino I'd just use the SelColor (Select By Color) command then change their display mode to ghosted (SetObjectDisplayMode).

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited August 2019
    I don't believe there is a query by color.

But there will also be no format that will maintain layer groupings, because Onshape does not use layers.
    Instead, is there a way in RHINO to create sub assemblies? that would be the nearest equivalent.

You may be able to get a peak inside your model better if you use the Section tool or set the model to translucent, rather than manually setting surface colors.

Also you can show/hide those surfaces, then right click the white space and "show all" to bring them back

• NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    All Onshape needs to do is retain layer names for parts then tack on a number, then I could search for them.

Ah perhaps all I need to do is import each of my large groups of surfaces as separate Rhino exports imported into separate part studios then I can just select all within those part studios and view them in an assembly.

Yes, that's workable. I can then switch to a part studio tab to change the opacity of the entire batch of wood panel surfaces and then see them in an assembly. Then editing interior design parts in context does show an albeit rather overly transparent version of those wood panels.