Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Editing feature definitions in a body after it has been scaled

I propose that whenever you scale a body/part, Onshape automatically scales the feature definitions too. Not only that, but it should also give you access (allow you to edit) the new feature definitions for the scaled part.

I'm proposing this because I now find myself in a situation wherein I've scaled a part and I need to make some changes to the feature definitions in the new scaled up part. However, Onshape doesn't offer the option for me to do that. Having this option would make designing with the scale feature much easier. I wouldn't have to go back to the old pre-scaled part whenever I need to change feature definitions in the new scaled-up part. 

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @christian_campbell This would be against the history method of our featurelist and is not being considered at this time.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

@christian_campbell

YOU SAID — I propose that whenever you scale a body/part, Onshape automatically scales the feature definitions too.

Onshape can do that. Use a variable, or a number of variables, to do your scaling. You can use one variable to scale your entire part. Or, you can use a variable to scale along the X, another variable to scale along the Y, and another variable to scale along the Z. You could even make a variable to scale along some 3D vector that is not parallel with the X or the Y or Z. You could also use two variables along the same axis. For example, you could scale some elements along the X at 1.5 to the right, and then you could scale some elements of your sketch or part to the left along the X at a factor of 1.25. If you’re big into scaling, you should definitely look into variables as they offer a lot of power, and, they can be edited quickly.

YOU ALSO SAID — Not only that, but it should also give you access (allow you to edit) the new feature definitions for the scaled part.

Use the variable(s) mentioned above, and this can be done

—————————————————

In the document below, whenever I entered any type of a dimension for a length or radius or for an extrusion, whatever kind of dimension it may be, I would do it in this form  —  #s*4

#s  —  is the name of the variable. This is my scaling factor. When you initially setup the variable itself, a good place to start is by using an amount of 1 for your scaling factor

The asterisk shows that the variable is going to be multiplied by the initial dimension desired

And the 4 was what I used for one of the initial dimensions

Once you enter all the different dimensions, then all you have to do is edit the variable in the Feature List, that is, change the amount within the variable, and it will scale everything accordingly.

In the case of the document below, whenever I entered an amount for any dimension, I simply entered 3 keystrokes — #s* — along with the dimension amount itself. No need for any spaces.

Step through the Features List of the document below to see exactly how it’s done

Also take note that whenever you are in edit for a sketch or in one of the dialog boxes, say to edit the fillet amount, if you select the number for the dimension as to edit it, you will see the underlying formula as mentioned above

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6729e89f85fffe5522c5962c/w/e2c45cbe43300da8e0fd172e/e/e13caeca721c2cde02d2a8b5