Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

File Size.

Marco_SavaryMarco_Savary Member Posts: 12
edited July 2015 in Data management
Is there a way to see the file size of each document? Because, I only have 3 parts built so far, and I already used 32 megs. It seems large for 3 parts.

Comments

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Marco_Savary  still there is no way to check the individual file size, OS mentioned its a planned update. Here the post with the info and a workaround to check file size. 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/7323#Comment_7323
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Marco_SavaryMarco_Savary Member Posts: 12
    I see it. Thanks Nicolas.

It seems that Onshape has a larger file size than a desktop cad, because is smarter and does more. Since is not my hard-drive and if Onshape become more powerful than desktop cad on a near future. Should we care about file size? Perhaps no.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Since is not my hard-drive and if Onshape become more powerful than desktop cad on a near future. Should we care about file size? Perhaps no.
    Those of us on the Free plan will care since we have limited cloud storage.  Those on the Pro plan may also care about file size, at least in the collective sense, since over the years the space needed for all those projects will have to be paid for by the users.  I'm thinking here of the accumulated work over many years.

I wonder if there is a time penalty to be paid in when downloading a large project from a fresh browser window?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Im running at 77mb for 4 documents, onshapes estimation of 10mb average per document seems to be way off. 
  • Options
    Wesley_NWesley_N Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I found that a huge percentage of my space was being taken up by the workspace history. When I first got started I was making a lot of changes to the parts and each of these changes was saved to history. I copied my parts to a new document which got rid of the history and deleted the old document and my storage usage dropped way down.
    http://www.keystonecollections.com/ - Handcrafted Furniture                                   http://www.newswangerpen.com/  - Fine, handcrafted writing instruments
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    wesley_n said:
    I found that a huge percentage of my space was being taken up by the workspace history. When I first got started I was making a lot of changes to the parts and each of these changes was saved to history. I copied my parts to a new document which got rid of the history and deleted the old document and my storage usage dropped way down.
    That might explain it, I am making lots of changes and alterations. I have too many parts and sub assemblies to make copying them to a new document a viable option though.
  • Options
    robert_farrowrobert_farrow Member Posts: 5
    I have the same issue.  I wish there was a "clear history" option to do this rather than having to manually do it.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skippy said:
    wesley_n said:
    That might explain it, I am making lots of changes and alterations. I have too many parts and sub assemblies to make copying them to a new document a viable option though.
    I have the same issue.  I wish there was a "clear history" option to do this rather than having to manually do it.
    Does either of you realise an entire document (all tabs) can be copied, minus the change history, using "Copy Workspace" from the
    "hamburger menu"?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Or use gear -menu -> Copy workspace from Document list.

Remember that any versions or share or external links to document won't work anymore but affect to file size can be signifigant.

I had document 114mb, took a copy and filesize wen't to 4mb then there was automatic update which raised file to 9mb.
    I think it is a bit of problem for free user if limit is near and Ons pushes new updates which seem to have pretty big affect on file size..
    //rami
  • Options
    Wesley_NWesley_N Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Does either of you realise an entire document (all tabs) can be copied, minus the change history, using "Copy Workspace" from the
    "hamburger menu"?
    andrew_troup, I did run across that option. I was also trying to see if the size was tied to any specific part studio.
    http://www.keystonecollections.com/ - Handcrafted Furniture                                   http://www.newswangerpen.com/  - Fine, handcrafted writing instruments
  • Options
    elonas_radzeviciuselonas_radzevicius Member Posts: 2
    OnShape file sizes are simply crazy large. Standard size RC servo, very simplified solid model - 5MB... really? Thats like 20x the size of a siemens NX file. Maybe my approach in not very rational? Unsure, but there is hardly any other way, OnShape 3D modeling is sketch based.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Andrew said,  "Does either of you realise an entire document (all tabs) can be copied, minus the change history, using "Copy Workspace" from the 
    "hamburger menu"?

I did this but the file size doesn't change and the history is gone.  I have a VERY hard time understanding how the stuff I've been working on could be 99MB.  

Ok, 5 minutes later the file size changes down to 1MB.  Not sure why there is a 5 minute delay in updating the info.

This is a usability documentation problem.  It would be good to add a help doc on this AND make it clear to users that "Copy Workspace" removes history.  In addition to causing issues for users like me, I can see it causing issues for people who expect the history to be maintained.  Put a checkbox that says "remove history" and have it checked by default.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @robert_farrow  No change at all? Surely there should be some reduction while all the history data is purged from new copy..

//rami
  • Options
    I'm guessing @robert_farrow  edited his post after @3dcad posted his question?

• Options

OnShape file sizes are simply crazy large. Standard size RC servo, very simplified solid model - 5MB... really? Thats like 20x the size of a siemens NX file. Maybe my approach in not very rational? Unsure, but there is hardly any other way, OnShape 3D modeling is sketch based.
    Onshape remembers every action you took, not just the features in the tree. Yes, EVERYTHING (unless or until you purge the history, which should not be confused with the tree/list)
  • Options
    Yep, I edited my post.  I hadn't seen your reply.  When the new workspace was made it still showed the full storage size.  This put me well over the 100mb cap.  I can imagine a lot of users would just delete the copy as using the feature had an effect opposite of their intentions.  It looks like it increases storage instead of deceasing storage.  Onshape needs to made a help document on this topic.
  • Options
    That sounds like a bug.

If you or anyone else strikes this behaviour again, it would be good to document the circumstances and report it using "Feedback"
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Yep, I edited my post.  I hadn't seen your reply.  When the new workspace was made it still showed the full storage size.  This put me well over the 100mb cap.  I can imagine a lot of users would just delete the copy as using the feature had an effect opposite of their intentions.  It looks like it increases storage instead of deceasing storage.  Onshape needs to made a help document on this topic.
    Storage is calculated asynchronously on our servers which leaves small time frames where it is reporting a pre-calculated value.  In a couple of scenarios we make an educated guess of what the document size is, primarily on document creation, so that the first reported value isn't 0 bytes.

1. When a user copies the current workspace to create a new document, we initially guess the document sizes are equivalent while calculating what the new document size is.

2. When a user uploads a file to create a document, we initially guess that the document size is the same as the file size.  This can change depending on what is packaged in the file.  For example, a PDF is very static content and the document size should be equal to the file size.  An x_t file is extracted and creates part studio(s) and assembly(s) which can increase the document size.

What you are seeing is normal and the correct value should be reported within a couple of minutes.  If you are not seeing that happen, please log a ticket and we'd be interested to investigate.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @jakeramsley
    Great job on explaining that, thanks.

Looking through the user's end of the same telescope, the main situation where we take an interest in file size is when trying to reduce it.
    And the usual tool, for the present, is "Copy workspace".

It would be rather more helpful to us, in this scenario, if the software, rather than pretending to know the file size prematurely, would report something equivalent to "CBS" ("check back soon").

The other main situation is when we're near our limit and uploading a large file, and (again) it would be preferable to be advised nothing, pending being advised something reliable.
    If this cannot be done for some reason, I hope you would still find a way to address the previous scenario. 

Perhaps another alternative for scenario one would be to separate the history size (which would be stripped out on copying the workspace) from the irreducible model data component, and report them in separate columns?

----------------------------------------------

It's not easy to respect limits when our indicator can be out by an order of magnitude.

Rewriting Help, as suggested by @robert_farrow , would at least allow discerning users to find out why they have a dodgy indication.

However, new (or forgetful!) users will first have to frustratingly discover the dodginess for themselves, in order for it to occur to them to check Help (or bug you one the forum) for the reason.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I will talk to the developers about possible improvements to storage reporting.  I don't have intimate knowledge of the implementation, so I don't know what the exact limitations are.

I do know there is more difficulty computing/reporting the storage of imported data as there is a certain unknown of what is stored in it.  Data types that are translated have variable effect on how much the storage size will increase depending on their complexity and likewise take a variable amount of time to translate.  Reporting the file size of the upload initially is what the size of the document is at that time, but it can change once the translation finishes.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    LordJesseLordJesse Member Posts: 2
    I am over the 100Mb limit and cannot copy my workspace to get rid of the history. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Hi @LordJesse never been over the limit but If you`ve already reached it and it does not allow to create a copy what I would do first is check the trash and empty any items there, then verify if I`m, still below the 10 Docs limit ,lastly if none of them work, make public one or two documents, purge their history (Create copy) and then make them private again.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Hi @LordJesse never been over the limit but If you`ve already reached it and it does not allow to crete a copy what I would do first is check the trash and empty any items there, then verify if Im, still below the 10 Docs limit ,lastly if none of them work, make public one or two documents, purge their history (Create copy) and then make them private again.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • Options
    jovier_markjovier_mark Member Posts: 1
    try using.....7zip

Mark
  • Options
    dan_diasdan_dias Member Posts: 2
    You guys rock!

After deleting 4 semi-important files, my one file kept creeping up to over my 100Mb limit. I'm a beginner and couldn't afford the $100/month (maybe I could pay one time $100). I was starting to think I'd have to abandon the whole project, until I saw this post. I just copied my workspace and my file dropped from 98Mb to 2Mb. Wow!

I wish I had seen it before I deleted the other "versions" of the project.

Thank you guys.