Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rolling Back a Release

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
I just release the wrong part. I've attempted to obsolete the release so it rolls back to the previous. I expected the rev 1 to come up with the black triangle but doesn't look like that is the workflow. Does anybody have experience with this? Should an obsoletion push me back to the previous rev, and change from black to black X, I've given it about 30mins to make it it's processed in the backend. 
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Bruce - the release process creates an immutable version where (for example), Rev A will always exist. If Rev A is later obsoleted, that doesn't change the fact that at one point in time it was released at Rev A (and possibly built and in the field). If the next release was also Rev A (because the first one was obsoleted), there would then exist two different versions of Rev A, which is of course untenable for any release management system and would be out of compliance for many certifications (eg ISO900X). Please click carefully as by-design this is not an action that can be undone! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi  @philip_thomas , thanks for responding, I understand that pushing forward you have to have new releases and higher rev and that's what I've done but I can not see a reason why the previous release can not be re-instated if forward releases for that part or assy are all obsolete.

Also if a release is obsolete why am I seeing the black triangle in the assembly tree? 
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @brucebartlett - thank you for the clarification. Yes, multiple people have now come to my desk to harass me!
    You are right - in your scenario there is no notification that the revision being referenced has in fact been obsoleted.
    We have had discussions about various solutions and while we dont know which would be the best response, we acknowledge that the current implementation is 'less than ideal'. Please open a support ticket :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks @philip_thomas, :)
  • Options
    artsalcidoartsalcido Member Posts: 1 PRO
    you can now obsolete the revision, and in the obsolete dialog check the box to "mark revision as re-releasable"