Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Suggestion or help - Trying to remove material on a sphere with a drafted cut

mj_powersmj_powers Member Posts: 18 PRO
Hello,
I'm trying to model a hamster ball and I need to cut out air/drainage slots.

I need to remove material with a draft.
I thought I could create a surface and then thicken it to use a boolean subtract - but the thicken has no draft.

Any suggestions? I will also need to pattern the feature around the spherical surface

thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @mj_powers There should be several ways to skin the cat here.  I might model a body/part that represents the removal and use a draft feature to make the draft as you want.  Next, boolean subtract the removal part.  Next, face pattern the faces.  
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I agree with Pete except for the face pattern.

I would create a tool to "stamp' the contour (like Pete said) but then "Part - Pattern" that around the sphere with the "remove" option selected.
    That should save you a feature on the tree and a bunch of selections. It will also make your pattern update properly if you modify the tool body by adding fillets or something later on.
  • Options
    mj_powersmj_powers Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Thanks - got the feature worked out by creating a stamp - cut - pattern.

But, honestly if the Thicken feature had a loft option this would be a no-brainer simple way to make drafted cuts and holes in curved plastic surfaces.
    Just wondering if adding draft option to the thicken command is already in the "feature request" section???