Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to create a custom material that is a reference to another part?

We are creating vendor sourced models that have a unique pn per company requirement. When the vendor part is modified (ie: change in length) then a new part is created (derived from the source model) and given a different unique pn. I would like to maintain all material meta data specific to mass etc. that was assigned to the original (derived) part, and assign the material in this new part as a reference to the derived part number. So there is a connection to the derived part that can be shown on the drawing in the Material callout in the new parts Title Block and it can also be displayed in the Assembly BOM table in the Material column.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Short answer is yes.

But you cannot read a property with feature script.

What I would do is make configuration variables in the part studio.
    Then use a featurescript that reads thoes variables and sets the part number logically.

Then when you insert a part and set the parameters it will set everything based off the variables. 

Setting properties in feoturescript is easy, me know if you need one custom.

I use one for material and stocksize already, so we can get you rolling with a marriage of the ones I use.
  • Options
    Brooke_Bialas1Brooke_Bialas1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your suggestion, I think this is an interesting option and a cleaver work around. I am not as familiar with featurescript, and I've done a little work using configurations, but it seems like a lot of work creating configurations for parts that require this type of application.
    After further consideration, I think it would be more efficient to create a custom property that can be referenced in the Material block of the Title block and update the material of the new part to match the assigned material of the derived part.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Yea, config variable take the most effort (paperwork)
    But is by far the most powerful feature of Onshape.

If you feel you need this, do it.
    Otherwise try and find a solution without Variable config