Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Update Exported files

sandy_scottsandy_scott Member Posts: 3
Is there a 1-click way to update an exported file? ie. If it was a DXF export of a face, then the export would happen again (without needing to select the face & choose settings) and create a new version of that file.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Hi Sandy, no there is not. How would this work if you had multiple exports from multiple faces? Please create an improvement request in the category on the right -->
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2019
    That sounds pretty useful.  :+1:
    We have a "Feature Tree".  Lets say we add an "Operation Tree".  We could define operations such as "Export this face as a DXF file" or "Export this part as an STL file", then update the CAD and re-run these "operations".  As long as we could edit the operations to fix any broken references (should our edits fundamentally change things) then we'd be good.  
    @sandy_scott If you raise such an Improvement Request then I'd vote for it :) The more I think about it the more I like your idea.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat idea. I think it would be good to maybe have that at the document level, so you could include assembly exports, updating drawings, and exporting drawings as well. It could be a good workflow to create a version, then one-click export faces, models, drawings as needed. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    That's a neat idea. I think it would be good to maybe have that at the document level, so you could include assembly exports, updating drawings, and exporting drawings as well. It could be a good workflow to create a version, then one-click export faces, models, drawings as needed. 
    I like it. 
    My mind was wandering off in a different direction and thinking about adding the operation within the feature tree, so we could run the operation at a given moment during the rebuild.  Say we have a plate, that we then drill holes in, then engrave a PN into.  We could set our export either before or after each of those features are executed depending on the output we desire. Parametric operation control.  Groovy.
    Just goes to show there is no problem that can't be made more complicated by thinking about it some more...
    Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd