Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations and BOM

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
How is the best way to show all the configurations of a part in the BOM? I am creating a parts breakdown of a unit and a few of the parts are configurable. In the BOM I would like to have one balloon number for the illustration, but we would like to list the other options with a unique part number and description for those options. Is this something that can be done in Onshape BOM?

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2019
    You will need to add thoes parts to the assembly also. in their configurations. Then you can hide them with a display state I suppose.

Or you could do that in a sub assembly, then insert that as a separate BOM. Or multi-level BOM
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    That can work, however that also adds an item number that messes up the balloon numbers. Is there a workaround for that? I don't want an additional item I just want a another listing under an item I already have. 
    edited January 2020
    How about a separate sub assembly that has all of the configs in it.

Then it would be able to have it's own bom that lists all configs.  You could have them in the main bom too and they will show up as item 4.1 4.2 4.3 etc.

If you could show an example of what you need it to look like on paper, better ideas may come to mind
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Here is an example of what I had in mind, maybe it is a bad idea. I did use your idea John and am happy with the way it looks so maybe that is better, and the way I should continue doing. Does the industry have any standard way of doing something like this? I thought Open Bom had some additional capabilities but I could not find it, however, I am not currently paying any subscription fees either. Not sure if that makes a difference.  
    It usually comes down to the companies standards when calling out fasteners.

I've seen it with leaders pointing to the fastener, and with balloon/bom.

So whatever works best for you.