Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Automatically release parent assemblies when releasing a part

romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 414 PRO
edited January 14 in Product Feedback
When we have an assembly that includes sub assemblies, and all parts and sub assemblies are Revisions, it is a huge amount of work to edit and re-release a part at the bottom level.

Consider this example arrangement (all parts and assemblies are Revisions):
Top Assembly-A
>sub assembly-A
>>sub assembly-A
>>>part-A

When the Part-A is edited and released to Rev B- it takes 4 releases (if I don't make any mistakes!) to end up with this:
Top Assembly-B
>sub assembly-B
>>sub assembly-B
>>>part-B

Please make it automatic!

The new workflow could be: edit the Workspace for the part and release Rev B - then Onshape will cascade the release up the chain, to give me Rev B throughout. Onshape knows what has changed, and which sub assemblies will need to be up-revved. Maybe there will be a checkbox that I can select or something, but really - in what scenario does anyone NOT need to Revise all the parents of a changed child?

See here for one of the recent excellent discussions on this topic.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,814
    @romeograham I think this would be more along the lines of having a way to pull changes up the tree.  When we finally re-release the recursive assembly update, you could make these changes of the part, version it and then pull this up to the top and re-release.  Once we get that feature out, I would like to revisit this workflow.  I am going to move this over to product feedback for the time being.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 414 PRO
    @lougallo that sounds reasonable. I like the idea of pulling it up rather than pushing it up.