Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Filleting a sketch causes a previously fully constrained sketch to become unconstrained

Gary_32Gary_32 Member Posts: 3
The sketch was fully constrained and showing as all black.

Then I added 0.5mm fillets to all the intersections

Then the sketch became unconstrained and showed red

It seems to me that the fillets have broken the pattern constraint that I used to create the cut-outs in the sketch?

I presume that the fillet has removed a bit of the end of a line that was used as a length constraint in the pattern - but surely it should just use a virtual intersection point if a fillet is applied to an intersection of two lines?

Surely this should not happen?

Further, how do I go about fixing the broken pattern constraint - can I adjust the points/line that the constraint was originally patterned with?

Comments

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Red color shows that sketch was over constrained.make it undo and reapply fillet by selecting two lines instead of selecting corner point.It may solve your problem.
    Even if you apply fillet by corner point selection method it should not over constrain the sketch...It may having some problem...
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2015
    You can also turn on the checkbox "Show Constraints" on the sketch dialogue to show all the constraints. Then delete start to delete the problems one to find the issue.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    @Gary_32, if you report to Support as a bug then we can dig into it. The intention is that filleting should never over-constrain a sketch. Constraints to the original point should move to the virtual sharp, etc. Maybe that isn't happening in this case, maybe the new set of constraints is causing problems, hard to say without the data set. What I can say is that this is not expected behavior.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    Gary_32Gary_32 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all - I did log a call about it at the same time as posting as it looked like a bug. I needed to get on though, so I reverted to an earlier version before the fillets then tried again with a slightly larger radius and this time it worked OK. 
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    That's good news. We'll take a look anyway though: should work out why your first attempt was unsuccessful. 
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D