Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Bending sheet metal to another solid model's surface

sylvain_cornelussylvain_cornelus Member Posts: 3 EDU
Is there a way to take a flat sheet and bend it to another solid's exterior?  For example I want to take this perforated sheet
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fc20c79c2ce629e9a81f72c6/w/6e6a1ffe611f1d32ba4fda08/e/43cd466761b9ecf9ba359686 and form it to a speaker grill.

Similarly, sy I have a curved part with holes extrude out of it at certain locations like this.  Is there a way to 'flatten' this part and get the dimensions where the holes would need to be drilled before bending? https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d1a93efee5e3dbea1dab654d 
I want to avoid remaking a bunch of parts from scratch by measuring all the segment lengths..

A link to a tutorial or another thread on the subject is appreciated.  I've looked at the sheet metal tutorials and they don't seem to address either of these concepts.

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Part 1: I think you are asking for expanded sheet-metal correct? That could possibly be done with a custom feature script. but is not a built in function of sheet-metal.
    You would likely draw the final result, and have the feature script add a fill pattern of holes and return a stocksize of the initial blank...

Part 2: You can use the "Thicken" option while create a new sheet-metal model.