Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - January 29th, 2020

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the Revision Tables folks! Looking forward to saving some time with these tables.

EDIT:
    1. How can I change the starting Revision in the table to be 1 (my revision scheme is: parts / Assemblies use Letters (A, B, C...) and my drawings use numbers (1, 2, 3...). When I add a Revision table to a drawing that has already been released, it seems to adopt the already-in-use revision scheme, and so shows Numbers correctly. NOTE: when I add a new Revision Table to a new drawing, and then Release the drawing, if I change the Drawing Revision to 1 (from the default A) in the Release Candidate dialog - it seems to change the table correctly as part of the Release process.
    2. How can I change the date format? I prefer YYYY-MM-DD
    3. How can I change the header text? I don't need "Date Approved" or "Approver" - I'd like to save space and use "Date" and "By" instead
    4. The Revision Callouts don't seem to be working. The triangles are empty. I'll submit a support request.
    5. To get the table to use something other than your full name, you need to change your "nickname" to something shorter - this will populate the drawings with only your initials, for instance.
    Great start! This has been something I've been looking for for a long time.

romeo
    Been waiting a long time for the auto revision table. So firstly, THANK YOU! However:
    1. I do not want to see prototype revisions listed on my revision history for example, i.e. I think there should be an option to show or not show OBSOLETE revisions (currently OBSOLETE revisions also show on the revision table)
    2. You should be able to edit the revision table structure since every company will have a different format, i.e. similar to how you can customise a BOM
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the above about the Revision Tables. It's a great addition, but unfortunately, we won't be able to use them until we can customize it for our existing drawing format. I need to be able to add a column to list our Engineering Change Notice numbers associated with each release. I would also remove the Approver column, as that info is also captured in our ECN. 
  • Options
    andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
    Thanks for the Revision Table!
    I would also like to ask for customizations of the revision table.  We have to generate a PDF of the drawing for circulation in our company's PLM system, which is part of the Quality System and subject to FDA audit.  (Onshape is NOT part of the quality system and thus not subject to audit.).  But I can't put a PDF into circulation with the approver or date of approval blank (it should say "see ECO").  This is common practice.
    For now, it looks like we'll have to continue using a manual table as our Revision Table, unfortunately.  Any ideas?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited February 2020
    3dcad said:
    Congratulations on your new home, looks nice!

Renaming in place is good, doing it with key F2 would be even better!
    (or any programmable key, if you like it better - I will still use F2 since it's already common from windows and google products)
    I agree, I still hit F2 most of the time before I shift+n

But I think they did that for compatibility. Same reason they went with right mouse button to orbit, to be compatable with laptop touch pads. F keys arnt on every laptop like they are on desktop keyboards. The chromebook my mother in law just picked up doesn't have them, and the macbook pro with that touchbar replaced those keys too didn't it?

While we're on the subject...

I still think esc should be used to unselect rather than spacebar.
    While I understand all the compatibility issues with chromebooks and other - but honestly, how many professionals work with chromebook?

On being efficient we talk about mouse mileage and amount of clicks - remembering this single software uses shift+N to rename while having multiple other windows open on other screens that all use F2 just leads to not using that shortcut. For some people it takes years to memorize shortcuts like cut, copy and paste.. 

My head almost exploded few times I had to constantly swap between Alibre, Onshape and Keyshot - they all had the same model on screen but have totally different control to work with it. For example turning the model: Onshape RMB, Keyshot LMB, Alibre LMB+RMB together  :s  

I have learned space to deselect as that is not so common task on other software, adobe uses ctrl+D as default but my brain has separated these selection to be different and allowed space bar for Onshape - I remember this has been discussed and there was a reason for this too. I think it was because esc escapes from tool and you might wan't to only deselect without leaving the tool.

But for some setups lacking F-buttons should make it possible to still use those when available? For me it would be totally ok to have shift+N AND F2 to rename. 
    //rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    3dcad said:

My head almost exploded few times I had to constantly swap between Alibre, Onshape and Keyshot - they all had the same model on screen but have totally different control to work with it. For example turning the model: Onshape RMB, Keyshot LMB, Alibre LMB+RMB together  :s 
    Likewise.  I still remember the day I realized that 3D connexion devices determine their target application, and as such I could make model manipulation in Onshape and Fusion behave the same.  I could have cried with relief.
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2020
    3dcad said:
    While I understand all the compatibility issues with chromebooks and other - but honestly, how many professionals work with chromebook?
    Similar deal with the grey icons.  Why can't we have colo(u)red icons like all software since the beginning of windows?  Well around 5% of the population has some form of colorblindness so the other 95% have to put up with "you're looking for the square-ish grey icon between the round-ish grey icon and the other square-ish grey icon syndrome". 
    Arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh.
    Makes me wonder if the light switches and fire alarms in Onshape HQ are all grey rectangles and the fire alarm gets set of every hour by mistake.
    Now I've had my bi-annual winge normal pleasantries will now be resumed.
    Owen S.

**Hopefully constructive edit**  Being serious for a minute.  It might be an interesting statistic to collect some data here.  Onshape could log if a user opens new a feature, then closes it without creating anything, then immediately opens a different new feature type.  Ok, some of that would be the user changing their mind, but I'd wager a high percentage of cases logged will be the user opening something other than what they wanted in the first place.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks

We do care about our icons being recognizable, but we think that a combination of things like custom toolbars, command search and (eventual) customizable shortcuts (not trying to tease this, just bringing it into the conversation because it relates) are really the solution to this rather than just making them each have unique colors.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team