Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

OnShapes imports .stp file with incorrect face vertex coordinates

dale_kramerdale_kramer Member Posts: 6
I have an acsii text .stp file that imports into OnShape without parsing errors.

However, the coordinates of where 3 faces meet seems to be about 5mm out of position with respect to the value of the x,y,z coordinates for that intersection vertex that are seen the asci text of the .stp file.

I think the issue is better explained with these two images:

Here is the contents of the step file showing the results of a search for any X coordinate with +- 0.00000005 meters of the X coordinate which OnShape shows for the 'out of position' vertex:

When I import the exact same .stp file into Rhino 5, the vertex visually appears positioned correctly:

When I search the asci text of the .stp file for the coordinates that Rhino reports for that vertex, 4 are found within 0.00000001 m of the Rhino point, which confirms that Rhino is importing the vertex correctly:

My conclusion is that OnShape is in error here and does not import the coordinates of that vertex correctly (it places that vertex ~5mm away from the correct location).

Is that a fair conclusion here and what can be done about it?

I have attached the raw ascii .stp file in question here...

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Where did the STEP file come from? Can you share the URL to your doc so we can take a look? I imagine there must be something else in the STEP file that is causing the error. What happens if you export the good result from Rhino and import it into Onshape?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Very good questions :)

Step file came by exporting .3dm file as step file from Rhino.

Is this the URL you want ?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2c09c9b07e32696bf5a8c224/w/f6098161c79f563a4cf2c690/e/a57ac176362298be74020792

"What happens if you export the good result from Rhino and import it into Onshape?" =>  It is still good BAD in OnShape (Sorry I originally said good here and just edited it to say BAD at 12:52 EST) which I would assume because the .stp is in existence since it was first created by an export from Rhino. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    NeilCooke said:
    I imagine there must be something else in the STEP file that is causing the error. 

This does not follow in my mind since in the ascii text, there are no X coordinates within +- 0.00000005 meters of the X coordinate which OnShape shows for the 'out of position' vertex... (unless there is some sort of step file command that says move just these few points by ~5mm out of the many thousands of points in the stp file)
  • Options
    Tried to fillet the edge and it looks like there is a disparity between what is displayed and what is calculated? Not sure - please file a bug.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    LOL, OnShape is not alone, SimScale does the same as OnShape here...

If you don't mind, how do I file a bug, I thought that is what this forum category was for?

Sorry, I am OnShape newbie ...
  • Options
    In the help pull-down (top right inside Onshape) select Report a Bug. Might be a Parasolid thing - test it in SolidWorks or Solid Edge if you can. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Thanks.

Sorry, I don't use either of those but I will look for some way to get access to them..

Is there a way to reference this topic in the bug report?
  • Options
    Share the document with support and paste the URL to this forum post