Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why is a single part being split into two?

ryan_payneryan_payne Member Posts: 3
I'm trying to make a simple hinge.  I made both halves and a pin to join them, all in seperate part studios.  The flat part of each hinge was extruded from a rectangle.  I then sketched a circle off to the side of them tangent to the flat part of the hinge and extruded that.  I had zero errors in part studio.

When I tried to assemble the hinge in an assembly, upon mating the second flat part via a revolute mate to the pin, it decided to rip the cylindrical part of the hinge off the flat part.  How do I get it to recognize that the cylindrical part and flat part are the same part?

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @ryan_payne

share the URL to your document so we can take a look at it
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You probably created more than 1 part in the Part Studio, then when inserting the entire Part Studio into the assembly they behave as separate parts. You should make the entire hinge in 1 Part Studio anyway. It's all explained at https://learn.onshape.com
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    There is a great onshape video covering the concept of "design intent" and a hinge was used as an example. @NeilCooke was that one of yours or was it Cody's?  It was a long time ago in a country far away....  Any idea where to find it?
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited February 2020
    This video from Cody is 4 years old, but talks about design intent using a hinge as an example. The UI and feature set have changed considerably since then, but the idea is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRw3pD6bkks
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks Neil 👍
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd