Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Revolute mate and slider mate...

MyzharMyzhar Member Posts: 6
Hi,
I'm designing the tracks for a mobile robotic platform and I'd like to know how to remove the link between the revolute mate and the slider mates:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/505734d8a6b86de5529f3f25/w/5828f0475dbf4b43a8c168da/e/5048137ac2ee1ee7b50f45b6

I explain the problem: when I manually rotate one sprocket of the track (revolute 1,2,3,4) the left yellow pieces move according to the slider mate (slider 1 and 2), but I want them to not move.
Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
www.myzhar.com

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited March 2020
    Hi and welcome.
    I couldn't see exactly how the model works as the link is read only. (If you post the link straight from your browser then folks can take a copy and have a deeper look, and maybe even post an updated version.) 
    I don't believe the mates are "linked" that would be a "relation" like your gear relation.  I believe it's more that the slider doesn't have anything driving where it should be, so it's free to be dragged about.  Animating one of the revolutes gave nice smooth motion without the yellow part moving.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MyzharMyzhar Member Posts: 6
    Hi @owen_sparks
    the direct link as you suggested is the same as the one I originally posted.

Yes, the problem occurs when I drag one of the two sprockets manually, even the rear sprocket that is fixed and cannot translate.

Is there a way to choose a mate, press the play button and see all the linked mates animating?
    Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
    www.myzhar.com

edited March 2020
    Hi.
    Info on animating below. 
    First I hit the "J" key to show the mates.
    Next elect the mate you need.
    Then select "animate" from the right click context sensitive menu.
    Hopefully that is what you're after?
    Also please note the "read only warning".  I presume you've taken the link from the share dialogue?  If so that would explain the read only nature.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    edited March 2020
    Thank you now animation works.

What I want to do is adding the teeth to the rubber track to verify that the active sprocket is well designed. 
    I'd also like to simulate the chain in a realistic way seeing the teeth moving while the sprockets rotate.
    Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
    www.myzhar.com

Hi.
    Thank you now animation works.
    Excellent.  Glad to ear it.
    What I want to do is adding the teeth to the rubber track to verify that the active sprocket is well designed. 
    I'd also like to simulate the chain in a realistic way seeing the teeth moving while the sprockets rotate.
    Sounds like a plan.  Let us know if you need any help, it's a friendly forum :+1:
    By the way did you happen to down-vote my post or was that someone else?
    Happy CAD-ing.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    By the way did you happen to down-vote my post or was that someone else?
    A mistake. I'm used to have the upvote on the left ;)
    Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
    www.myzhar.com

• LavonLavon Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Is this possible? I've always wanted to make an assembly in a CAD program where there's a chain with a sprocket at each end and the whole mechanism rotates just like it would in real life. I've never figured out how to do it though. Has anyone done this or have ideas how it might be done?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Lavon said:

Is this possible? I've always wanted to make an assembly in a CAD program where there's a chain with a sprocket at each end and the whole mechanism rotates just like it would in real life. I've never figured out how to do it though. Has anyone done this or have ideas how it might be done?
    I tried this, and it doesn't work for a full rotation, once the main link (the one that pulls the rest in the mate chain) goes around the sprocket, it goes bonkers.
    Not only that, it is a lot of mating which can really overload an assembly. What we need here is an assembly level path or chain mate similar to solidworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEZEP4Lkk0
    @john_mcclary indeed I made something similar using Solidworks for the previous version of my project, I tried also on onshape without success.
    I think that the main problem is that the path is not continuous
    Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
    www.myzhar.com