Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I extrude two parts of the same sketch different heights?

grant_piephoffgrant_piephoff Member Posts: 6
I cannot seem to figure out how to extrude each of these rectangles of the same sketch to different heights. I know I can extrude one and make another sketch of the other to extrude, but that just seems like a waste. I know in other programs you can do multiple extrusions of the same sketch, and I would imagine OnShape can as well. Can someone walk me through the steps to do it? Thanks. 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @grant_piephoff - welcome to Onshape! I think it's the same in all CAD systems:

1. Create an Extrude feature and select one region.
    2. Create another Extrude feature and select the other region.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • grant_piephoffgrant_piephoff Member Posts: 6
    That doesn't work for me. I can do the first extrude on one of the rectangles just fine. But once I go to do the second, the sketch geometry is no longer available for selection and at most all I can do is select all of sketch 1, which extrudes both rectangles to the same height. I don't know if I am just messing this up, but I cannot figure it out.
  • mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi @grant_piephoff,

Once a downstream feature uses a sketch that you have not explicitly set to `Show` we will automatically hide that sketch. You can re-show it by clicking the eye icon next to the Sketch feature in the feature list. That should allow you to pick the second rectangle for your second extrude feature.

Best,

Mike
  • grant_piephoffgrant_piephoff Member Posts: 6
    That worked, thanks so much!
  • duane_1duane_1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    thanks
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    It is possible to write a custom feature for this, though in my experience the UI gets pretty clunky when trying to do multiple heights in one feature. There is a custom feature called Separated Extrude that you could modify to allow for multiple heights in one feature. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com