Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Update MAIN metadata when using "Create Version and Edit Properties" to updating workspace metadata

joseph_kochjoseph_koch Member Posts: 2 PRO
When using "Create Version and Edit Properties" to update metadata in bulk (i.e. uprev a part and drawing) Onshape will only make the metadata updates to the new version but will not update "Main". So, after creating the version one must restore the new version to main to get the metadata in main updated. I frequently use this workflow to update metadata in preparation for a neutral format release and it's pretty frustrating that I always need to restore the previous version before exporting. Why wouldn't Onshape carry the new version updates into Main? This should be a very simple change that will reduce time and clicks to get titleblock metadata updated and export neutral files. 
Tagged:

Comments

• joseph_kochjoseph_koch Member Posts: 2 PRO
    This behavior is so counterintuitive it almost seems like a bug. I'm surprised I cannot find any mention of it on the forums. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @joseph_koch Updating version metadata is very specific and often this is found out when you insert a version into an assembly and then edit the metadata in the BOM.. the date you type will go into the version but not into any other workspaces.  This works as designed and seems like you could add a simply copy but in a complex version graph, there could be multiple versions of this same entity(s) and which workspaces to update becomes less clear.  We have opted not to be over clever here and avoid an incorrect update.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO

I'd like to revive this discussion I agree with @josepth_koch I spent a few hours figuring out this issue updating the properties in main, creating a new version/revision seems like quite a hassle. I imagine this could become even worse for instance if you're working with an ERP in which case you could have someone change a property there as many times as they like but every time an updated gets pushed from OnShape it would override these properties. 

I do agree it would be quite a hassle if you ended up overwriting existing part data but perhaps a compromise solution would be for instance to have a notification come up when a versions properties are changed by a linked document.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    edited March 2023
    This is definitely one of the more confusing and opaque parts of Onshape's PDM/PLM. I'm still not 100% comfortable or happy with what it does, but I think I get it - on a good day.

See also: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18018/custom-property-edit-value-in-version-vs-edit-value-in-workspace