Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How does one access a sub-assembly's Named Positions, or Display States?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I have a assembly of a mechanism with multiple "Named Positions" (plus Display States) that reflect relevant operational positions.

This assembly is inserted into another (higher level) assembly where I wish to see the mechanism's operational positions in the context of the higher lever assembly.

I do not see a mechanism by which I can reference (activate) the Named Positions or Display States that were created in the sub-assembly.  

I am expecting to find this functionality in the Context Menu pop-up menu from a selected assembly instance. 

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I don't believe you can access display states of sub assemblies. 

You may need to upgrade to configurations
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    When Assembly Configuration functionality became available I immediately tried to create configurations to reference various Display States and Named Positions to represent mfg assembly/disassembly processes.

Unfortunately, Display States and Named Positions cannot be included in an assembly configuration.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, they are separate things.

You will need to create the positions by manipulating mates.
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    To get the functionality I want it appears I need to create configurations in the instanced (sub-)assembly with various mate parameters that reflect the positional states I want shown in a next/higher level assembly, even though there are Named positions defined in the instanced assembly that reflects the positional state I want to shown.   

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Just in case someone else is trying to find the answer to this... 

Apparently around July of 2022 this function was added. This improvement request was marked complete. The what's new and the change log don't make it clear that this functionality was added. At the time it focused on adding views to drawings of named positions.

Anyway, in a higher level assembly, right click on the lower assembly, and select "Add to named position". This will allow you to use named positions of subassemblies in higher assembly named positions. The UI is similar to how configurations can trickle down.

I'm very happy to discover that this exists. It is in the help.