Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I assemble this?

lynn_albrittonlynn_albritton Member Posts: 5
Hi! Hopefully this is the right place for my question. If not, my apologies. 

I'm trying to import an existing model of mine and put it back together here, thinking it would be a good learning experience and a test of OnShape's capabilities. I've watched several tutorials, but they are much simpler than my sample model. I have made a public document called "assemble me". Could I get some help on how to approach this?

I could have assembled this very quickly in several other CAD packages, which I'm afraid just makes me frustrated more easily. Is there a quick-start path for experienced/impatient CAD designers?

Thanks,
Lynn

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Yes there is slight difference in pitch radius of support-base and bezel_ring (0.062 mm difference)

This may not allow you to assemble correctly..
    2.PNG 144.8K
    1.PNG 170.1K
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing that out; I'm not sure where the miss-match crept into this part. I think the parts studio would help prevent this kind of problem in the future. However, that is not what was causing my problem with assembling this, and the parts will actually go together even with the imperfection. 
  • Options
    Ok, and apparently I'm just getting the hang of the forums, too! The above comment was for the second answer. Nav, thank you so much for the tutorial links. They gave me the information that I needed. I've assembled my public model now. Is this how you would expect it to look? Creating and aligning a connector for the part was not necessarily faster than "old style" CAD assembly method. I'm also a little on-the-fence about assembling via coordinate systems vs actually seating faces and aligning holes, but there are advantages. Thanks again, both of you. 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @lynn_albritton You don't need to always create mate connector in forehand, but it is good way to avoid the need for calculating offsets in some cases.

Onshape will create the most of needed mateconnectors for you automatically, it might be confusing in the beginning but when you get hold of it - you should save time while 1x mate connector = 3x traditional constraint
    //rami