Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Filleting Some Funny Parts

bartbart Member Posts: 19
Hi!

I have two irregular parts that are together like yin and yang. I would like to fillet 0.5" around the edge of the compound shape without filleting any of the internal edges.

Is there a way to do this, please? Link below:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3050e87f10584fd6a9ca17e9/w/0a9801e9172a4189a62f89a6/e/7786f7ee52b2487ca566b1ce
Tagged:

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2015
  • bartbart Member Posts: 19
    3dcad said:
    Or this:

Hi! I didn't get a notification about your reply. Sorry!

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm actually hoping to extrapolate the technique to a more complex project on which I'm working, but knowing how you did this would definitely point me in the right direction. It's very frustrating!

Many thanks and I look forward to your response.

Bart
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're modelling these parts from scratch, another way would be to model the combo as a single part, run the fillets right around, then sketch the split "S" profile, extrude it as a surface through the combo, and use it to split the part into two.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @bart , Adding some point to suggestion given by @andrew_troup we can give fillet and get desired result as shown in below image.

Step1: Perform boolean operation to make a single part.

Step 2: Apply fillet

Step 3: Using sketch 2 create surface

Step 4: Perform split operation.

Final result :

Check out the link for above process document:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6647d624e5734dcaa42aed05/w/725a2411a41e4faabda2404e/e/c31e3c3d4f834987bf366e91

1.JPG 41.9K
    2.JPG 54.8K
    3.JPG 47.9K
    4.JPG 42.3K
    5.JPG 34.6K
    This is all very interesting and I thank you for your time so far.

At this point I have realised that this model is inadequate as an example of my intended project.

I don't want to share my actual project at this point but what I have is some complex shapes that fit into a thin casing, with a similar outside profile to the model shown. In reality I will fit them all together then run the outside profile on a table router. In Onshape it seems the only answer at present is to start with the filleting then create the parts. This will be very difficult at the stage I am at now, and I don't know how I would create the parts using the method above either.

I am so close to finishing the model and I just want to fillet the outside edge. Is there no way to merge, fillet, then unmerge the parts?

To add to my problems, I actually have corner fillets too. So the lozenge extrusion technique will not work either. My model is 12mm thick with 6mm radius corners so everything would fillet perfectly if I could just make it work. 

Thanks,
    Bart
    Are you familiar with sweep? I'm sure we can figure out the way to run your fillets.

But if you don't want to share your model with any of us (= other users) you can always use the ?-menu and send a question as feedback to Onshape - they will be happy to help you with your project and you don't need to worry about your IP leaking into public.
    //rami
    I have tried sweep but for some reason it just turns red and so won't solve. I love diagnosing redness but this time I am stumped.

I toggled share with Onshape support but maybe I need to do something else to obtain their help.

Thank you for your help,
    Bart
    Use the feedback tool in ?-menu to contact and mention that you have already shared your model..
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @bart:
    When a feature turns red, you can hover over the feature name in the edit dialog to see a description of what's wrong.
    In the case of a swept fillet, it will generally be a problem with "self intersection". 

Thing of a sweep profile as being a loop of wire, attached to a slider which runs along a track (the "path")
    If the path curves tightly as the slider progresses, the inside corner of the loop may swing backwards.  
    It may help to visualise the wire as being hot enough that it leaves a smoky trail representing the sweep body.
    Wherever the wire encounters existing smoke, that is self intersection, and will cause a sweep to fail.

You can usually reposition the path to fix this, but it may require breaking up the sweep into several operations.

As to your suggested method of merging, filleting and then splitting, that's certainly possible: you would have to construct a surface (prior to merging) which included all the interfaces between the eventual parts, and use that for the split. 
    Hi all!

I came back to my model with fresh eyes and I guess I did something differently because sweep worked and I feel like a king.

Thank you all for your support. You are awesome.
    =)
    //rami
    Oh dear oh dear.

I thought I'd nailed it and then the front edge displayed some extra geometry when I ran the fillet around. I can't work out how to actually ask Onshape for support, aside from toggling the 'Share with Onshape" button, which appears to do nothing.

So, here's what happening. Below is a screenshot of the front edge (left elevation) of my model. It's kinda like the base and lid of a laptop, for reference). I have zoomed in extra close and it appears that there is a minuscule difference between the top and bottom sections. This would be easy to fix but the diagnostics show that the parts are flush! Is this a bug? it looks like a bug. Can you think of a way around it apart from moving the face by trial and error?

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Bart, can you toggle on share with support and then submit a ticket via feedback and we will have someone try to help you.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    edited August 2015
    Sure. Out of interest, should I have any concerns over IP? What is the Onshape policy?

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    With respect to the proprietary design data and other materials you generate when you use the Onshape service, we use such information within Onshape only (1) as part of providing, maintaining, securing or modifying Onshape’s service regarding such data, (2) via automated tools intended to address or prevent a service, support or technical issue, (3) at your request or with your consent given to Onshape’s technical support team and/or other personnel as part of addressing or preventing a service, support or technical issue, or (4) in connection with legal obligations or proceedings described in further detail in Onshape’s Terms of Service. 

https://www.onshape.com/privacy-policy
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Many thanks!