Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Negative Dimensions, and Setting Line Length On Placement

Two suggestions, or maybe this would be more one and a half I've gotten while messing around with OnShape would be the ability to set "negative" dimensions to flip the side a line or angle is going and the other one is the ability to set line length from the start, I've been using AutoCAD prior to this and swapped to OnShape due to the whole staying home situation and the one thing I miss was the ability to draw my lines out then add dimensions if needed. While I've started getting used to adding dimensions later and starting with the rough shape I feel that along with negative dimensions could speed up the work for many of us.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Hi @mckeegan_curran - when drawing a line (for example) the length of the line is displayed. After placing the endpoint of the line, you can type in a length value which will then add a dimension automatically and size the line correctly. Once a dimension is created, you can edit it and enter a negative value to flip it to the other side. For a sketch to be considered "robust", in that it won't change unexpectedly, then it must be fully constrained (black) with either dimensions or constraints. Entering the length of a line without adding dimensions, therefore, will not be considered for implementation in Onshape at this time.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mckeegan_curranmckeegan_curran Member Posts: 6 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @mckeegan_curran - when drawing a line (for example) the length of the line is displayed. After placing the endpoint of the line, you can type in a length value which will then add a dimension automatically and size the line correctly. Once a dimension is created, you can edit it and enter a negative value to flip it to the other side. For a sketch to be considered "robust", in that it won't change unexpectedly, then it must be fully constrained (black) with either dimensions or constraints. Entering the length of a line without adding dimensions, therefore, will not be considered for implementation in Onshape at this time.
    Ah I didn't notice that feature yet thanks