Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Long regen times for text extrudes

samuel_lsamuel_l Member Posts: 6 PRO

Hi guys,

I would like to know why is it so long to extrude text? I'm using the text tool provided in the sketch window.

Also, as I'm trying to draw a ruler, you can imagine the nightmare:

Now, for the second picture, there might be some issues with my method. Each row of numbers is on a different sketch, I then extrude each sketch at the same time. Would it be faster to put all the text in the same sketch then extrude this single sketch, or is it just the text function that takes soooo long to regen?

Thank you guys!

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @samuel_l

Likely it is actually the boolean cut that is taking a while, if I had to guess.  The reason it takes a while is because all those small side faces that you are cutting into the ruler are just somewhat complicated and it takes time for our geometry engine to crunch though all of them.

You may have better luck using split face to just imprint all of the sketches onto the part, if you do not care about whether they are extruded in or not.

The fact that they come from different sketches will have no effect on the performance here.

Feel free to contact support if you would like to file a performance issue for this case.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    The method of dividing up your sketches preferred. Otherwise your sketch will get ever slower during modification of the sketch.

Text is know to be slow. But 12 seconds seems excessive for the extrude.
    How many sketches are there? we see 52 just in this screen shot.

you may conciser sub-dividing your part studios into progressive bits, then deriving them in.

bad example:
    make a part studio for the blue base

make another configurable part studio with a configuration table, or variable
    have the second part studio read the config value and create an extruded block.

super derive the block from part studio 2 into the part studio 1 on a point.
    then you will just change the config value of the super derived part.

I show both ways here.

The set up would probably been the same as your original. But the editing would likely be faster with the list config. Then you can edit everything in a spreadsheet and paste it into a config as I have shown in the first 15 or so positions.

The last 15 or so positions I have set as variable derives.

You may be able to "chunk" these up into smaller blocks, similar to your zoomed in screenshot, then insert blocks of derives.
    Doing each derive and placing them on the blue plate was a tedious process.. although not as bad as creating individual sketches and dimensioning them in position etc.

If I understand Onshape's derive performance correctly, this will be slower than making individual extrudes, but editing may be quicker with the list version.
    The more you can chunk these into bite size pieces (maybe a 3 x 3 square with 9 surfaceText values) then place them into the larger model.. I don't know, you will need to play around with all of your options on this one. If you are nearly done, I'd say it may be best to leave what you have rather than starting over.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1c681b33c52b84f83b0f26a/w/58ea0c273cf1e790312677b2/e/f68189d36eac00db2a09e218