Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude between two points?

sean_baxtersean_baxter Member Posts: 5
Hi, fairly new to onshape but i need to remove material of a cylindrical shape (or create a hole) between two points on different sketches. 

Comments

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @sean_baxter

Welcome to Onshape & the forum!  

It will be best to share a document showing something like what you are after.  See instructions for posting here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first#latest

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Perhaps you may follow these steps: 
    1. 3D fit Spline between your two points (creates a straight line)
    2. Plane - Point normal on end point of spline
    3. New Sketch on that plane, draw circle
    4. Extrude Remove through all with Second end position if needed
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Thanks. I did the 3d fit spline which created the line between the 2 points but still not sure how to remove the material. I thought extrude only works 90 degrees to 
  • Options
    Thanks. I did the 3d fit spline which created the line between the 2 points but still not sure how to remove the material. I thought extrude only works 90 degrees to a plane? The hollow section I want to create is at an oblique angle the the planes. 
  • Options
    Thanks. I did the 3d fit spline which created the line between the 2 points but still not sure how to remove the material. I thought extrude only works 90 degrees to a plane? The hollow section I want to create is at an oblique angle the the planes. 
    Please see step 2 on the list I made above.  That plane will be normal (90 degree) to the spline, then once you make sketch circle the extrusion will be 90 degree to that plane and along the spline.

You have other problems - first correct all the red items,  then your circles for the hole you want are laying on horizontal faces.  Do you want a round hole?  Also, you have two different diameters - do you want the hole to be tapered?  If so, you may need to do the extrusion with draft or use the Loft command.  The one circle is segmented so that makes it harder to Loft.

I suggest you work out the process on a simple experimental block and then clean up your real job to work.

www.accuratepattern.com