Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Help With Flatten Sheetmetal

labernlabern Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
I Know this isn't 100% Onshape related but I have drawn a thin extrude item in Onshape and tried to flatten it in Solidworks.
I have no experience with sheet metal in Solidworks and its just coming up with an error and wont flatten unless I suppress 2 of the curves
Is anyone able to look at my model and possibly point me in the correct direction?
Its just one part in my workspace and don't want to make the whole workspace public yet but if anyone would like to help out I can share the file to you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2015
    Try selecting the inside face. Tends to flatten better.

If you post a link to your Onshape or a picture part can give more help
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solidworks can only flatten parts if they are very strictly constant in thickness, bends are dead straight, and a few other considerations such as inter-bend clearance which are (IIRC) listed in Solidworks Help.
  • Options
    That was a fast response  :) I was just in the process of adding a picture.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I think it's probably a no-no to have a cut arc intersecting the zone of a bend, (as at far left and right) for one thing. 

You could perhaps use "Copy workspace.." from the Document (hamburger) menu at top left to create a new document, delete anything in the model you want to keep under your hat, then share what's left.
  • Options
    Yeah I understand that its not good having a cut arc intersecting the bend. Im actually modifying an existing design that was done that way and there is limited space. Solidworks seemed to have handled it fine. 
    thanks for the tip, I just figgered out how to copy it and can be found here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/63f17fc0fd0543ef8cc77d85/w/838a24c31b7f46568f3bcc88
  • Options
    @labern

I can imagine Solidworks might have different levels of what sheetmetal it can flatten, depending on whether it was modelled in Solidworks as a sheetmetal part, vs imported from another package.

Which two bends have you had to suppress to get it to flatten?
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2015
    Try https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bf58ad03c2e348bd832182db/w/667d45b4a0ef418eaa0ae436/e/3420ec88a93c4ba3a53b6be4

I had trouble with double bend across the 2 bits with the 2 holes. I cut one side of each of the double bends out and added back in after flattening, not ideal but gets a result.
  • Options
    Yes the double bend was the issue. 
    Oh how did you get it to flatten? You need to also select the large radius on the left side to flatten as its missing in your file. 
  • Options
    I'm also needing to export it as a DXF with fold reference lines. I guess that cant be imported into onshape?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @labern  I put a SW file in Onshape you can download and have look. Sorry about the errors on the cuts, I had to drag them down the tree as they would not work before the the sheet metal feature and I did not redo the constraints.
  • Options
    We need an Onshape flatten tool I do not want to revert back to an alternate app, I know it will come I am just impatient. I think it would be useful for more than just sheetmetal, vote for my request for a simple tool to get us started with sheetmetal parts. https://onshape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205069037-Flatten-Part-Good-Start-for-Sheet-Metal
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    labern said:
    I'm also needing to export it as a DXF with fold reference lines. I guess that cant be imported into onshape?
    Dxf not in yet but hopefully in the next release or 2.

What do you want to achieve with this part on Onshape if you have Solidworks? 

You could cut some ref notch's in to build a sketch from after import to Onshape then re export the sketch as a .dxf but why not do it straight from SW?
  • Options
    labern said:
    Dxf in not yet but hopefully in the next release or 2.

What do you want to achieve with this part on Onshape if you have Solidworks? 

You could cut some ref notch's in to build a sketch from after import to Onshape then re export the sketch as a .dxf but why not do it straight from SW?
    I only have access to SW at work during after hours and use someone else's computer. I'm not to familiar with it as its been a while and how the user set it up is quite different so would be a slow process.
    It also looked easy to import and flatten in solidworks till i ran into this problem. 
    I just need to flatten it and turn it to DXF to send to the local cut and fold shop.
  • Options
    what k factor do you want to use?
  • Options
    .47 thanks
  • Options
    thank you so much. that is awesome. I really appreciate your help
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Upon review  i found that cent 5.5 hole has lost a bit of detail across the fold. I fixed on the Onshape flat pattern but the dxf with the fold lines will still be wrong. Sorry hopefully there is no other errors. 
  • Options
    ok. that's fine. thanks for the update