Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make holes on round shape and other things.

lorenzo_sorentsonlorenzo_sorentson Member Posts: 6
Hello,

I"m new to Onshape and cad drawing and i was wondering how to make  holes on a round shape for instance lets say there are holes on a glas or a bottle.

Another thing I"d like to know is how to make a screw on a round shape as it is on a top of a bottle.

And also a cone shape...I cant find that.

So 3 questions Id be glad if someone knows the answers.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    Welcome to Onshape,

All of these questions are fairly general and can be solved by leaning some of the basics of 3D cad. I would suggest using Onshape's free leaning tools at learn.onshape.com. As it will take a combination of skills to solve some of these tasks.

First task is making a feature on a rounded surface. This is one of the most difficult day to day tasks you may face, but at the same time fundamentally simple.
    The answer is, you need to create a flat plane that's Z direction passes through your round surface at the intended direction.
    How you do that could be different depending on your unique situation. (hence the tutorials)
    If you link your specific shape and your intended result, we can show you a hand full of ways to do it.

Adding screw threads is a combination of the helix feature, sketch, and sweep feature.
    -start by creating a helix at the top of your glass. (this may be more difficult if your glass is curved like a wine glass, but do-able with more advance techniques)
    -Next is to sketch your thread shape (typically an equilateral triangle that intersects with your object) starting at the beginning point of your helix
    -Then you will sweep your sketch along the helix
    Here is a video of that https://youtu.be/IcRPb1sWwlA?t=115

A cone shape is fairly simple.
    The simplest way would be to draw a right triangle and create a revolve around the major axis.
    Or you could loft a circle up to a point.

Have fun.
  • lorenzo_sorentsonlorenzo_sorentson Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your comments!

Can you also show me how to make holes on a side of a cylinder shape? Like windows of a cylinder shape building..

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Steve shows wrapping which will give a hole that is tapered towards the center of the cylinder. If you want a hole that the walls are straight.
    Just extrude the sketches like Steve has drawn them. 

If you need your windows not parallel to the front or right plane. Create a new plane and make your sketch there. Just like the sphere. 
    From that Steve's pic I can't see how to acutally make a hole on a cylinder.

The thing is that it won't allow me to draw and hence to extrude from an oval shape - the side of a cylinder.

Can you show me how to do it?
    edited April 2020
    You will sketch your shape on a flat plane that when viewed "normal to" (press N on your keyboard) it will be within the object you are cutting.
    Steve chose the front plane because it was conveniently available for the demonstration.

You could create a new plane that is tangent to the cylinder if it help you visualize, but it shouldn't be necessary if your sketch is parallel to the existing planes.

at that point you will either extrude or wrap. depending on how you want the sides of the cut out to be.

it is impossible to sketch on any curved surface as you would in real life. A real like example would be to take your coffee cup, glue a metal plate to the side. (that would be your sketch plane) now draw your shape with a router tool on that plane.

wrap sketch will be more like carving a pumpkin. Sketch your image on a piece of paper, then "wrap" the paper on your pumpkin, then use a carving knife making sure your blade is always pointing at the exact center of the pumpkin.
    edited April 2020
    @lorenzo_sorentson
    @john_mcclary

John explained everything very well.

In this GIF, I created a plane parallel to the front plane but at the very front of the cylinder to help you better see how wrap works

In the GIF below, I show the same ellipse from two different points of view. From a front view, and from a trimetric view.

The ellipse you see in both views is being wrapped around the cylinder, and then extruded like a piece of pie toward the centerpoint

If you don’t like extruding like a piece of pie, then you can WRAP AS A SURFACE, and then apply a tangent plane to the surface shape that you wrapped around the cylinder, and then extrude that wrapped surface shape perpendicular to the tangent plane

@lorenzo_sorentson

The GIF below shows an extrusion of a wrapped surface, where the extrusion is perpendicular to a plane that is tangent to the wrapped surface

''In this GIF, I created a plane parallel to the front plane but at the very front of the cylinder''

can you show me how did you do that?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @lorenzo_sorentson

You can accomplish this using the "Plane" feature: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

I suspect Steve used that feature, selected the "Offset" option, and then selected the front plane, and then set the offset distance entry to an appropriate distance
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thank you it works!

The only problem is it makes a hole on the opposite part of the cylinder. For instance I chose and sketch on front plane but the hole was made on the back part of the cylinder.

Do you know whats the trick here?