Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

exporting models for Open Foam simulations

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
Greetings,
One of my partners is using Open Foam to simulate hydraulic losses due to geometry. We're struggling with getting my OnShape model to mesh adequately. He would prefer a brep file but OnShape doesn't export that format. Does anyone have experience with doing this?
Many Thanks,
Isotherm
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    Onshape exports a number of “brep” formats, I would assume anything that imports 3D data would at least support STEP or IGES?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks Neil,
    We've tried igfes, step, stl, parasolid, collada. We used to have an Ansys license and the meshing program in that worked pretty well with step and iges.. Due to the (insanely) high cost of Ansys, we're trying to use Open Foam with an open source gui and meshing software. We have been able to import several of the different formats but the software sees them as surfaces, not solids. Using the imported files as frameworks to create a native model in the meshing software is just too labor intensive. Just looking for some alternatives.
  • Options
    The issue is that the mesh created from any of the OnShape exports "leak" and the gaps are too difficult to find and too many to plug.