Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Blank parts in sketches

bartbart Member Posts: 19
When I want to make a blank part in a sketch (let's say I want to draw a washer—a solid circle with a smaller blank concentric circle) it sometimes just makes the part I want blank solid. It appears to decide at random whether or not I deserve a blank area in my sketch. I usually just leave it to chance and work around it but there must be a way. Anyone know?

Many thanks,
Bart

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bart
    Check out the training videos on sketching, they explain this issue well

• Options
    Thanks! I must have forgotten.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @bart , you can select or deselect solid circle or blank concentric circle (required portion) of sketch for extrude from model space window as shown below video.

• Options
    Hi Viru,

Thanks! I think I already knew this but I haven't used Onshape for a while so perhaps I was just frustrated.

Thanks for your help :smiley: 

Bart
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    At some point it was filed as a bug when you select whole sketch to extrusion and sketch holds 'washer type' -geometry which you would expect to extrude as a washer rather than only outer circle.
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    At some point it was filed as a bug when you select whole sketch to extrusion and sketch holds 'washer type' -geometry which you would expect to extrude as a washer rather than only outer circle.
    A washer *is* only the outer circle... Do you mean the whole thing would extrude?
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I think bart and 3dcad are both taking (different) liberties with the word "circle"
    In the exacting language of geometry, as used in solid modelling, a circle is a single, infinitely thin line.

Extruding a circle would produce a surface, not a solid body.

I think 3dcad meant the area bounded by the outer circle only, in other words, something which would extrude as a disk rather than an annulus.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @andrew_troup Thanks (again) for understanding my point and explaining it with better terminology.
    //rami