Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need help. Trying to use Standard Parts Imported In Context

bill_heumannbill_heumann Member Posts: 3 PRO
I am trying to use standard ANSI flange models imported  to attach to a vessel. I have no problem created a Nozzle Neck properly shaped to attach to the existing Cylindrical Shell by extruding the Flange hub cross section up to the Cylindrical Shell (in Context but in another part studio). I can't find a way of using the Extrude>Remove tool in context to remove the shell metal within the nozzle. Is there a better way of doing it besides starting a new sketch on the Shell part and Extrude>Remove metal at the appropriate place? 

I will have about 40 nozzles on this vessel so having to sketch each hole seems wrong when I have the circle of the solid to be removed already shown on the Flange and Nozzle Neck.

Please excuse anything particularly stupid as I'm not a CAD operator and everyone in my office uses SolidWorks so not much help!

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @bill_heumann

It usually helps to post a link here when posting on the forum so people can see the document:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first#latest

If it is proprietary and you don't want to share with the forum, please feel free to contact support using the "?" menu in your document, they are always happy to help.

Based on what you've said, it seems to me that you are trying to cut a hole in the ghosted in-context part.  You will need to go back to the assembly and then edit that part in-context of the assembly.  That will take you to that part's Part Studio, where you will be able to use the part you are currently editing to do the cut.

Remember that Onshape supports multi-part Part Studios, so if these two parts are truly interrelated enough that they will be interacting the whole time you are building them, you could just build them together in the same Part Studio.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    bill_heumannbill_heumann Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Thanks Jake. If I could import the purchased part file into the relevant part studio instead of it becoming a separate part studio within the document, I could see how  to do it easily. As it is, the solid circle I need to remove is in the Flange part studio (as imported). If I go from the Assembly to the Shell Part Studio then I can't select the Flange I.D. circle to extrude.

I know I can create the flanges and nozzles in the part studio for the Shell but I'm trying to not have to sketch all of them individually since I have so many to add and there are solid models already available from the manufacturer.

I appreciate your suggestions and will follow through on them to see if I can get it.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @bill_heumann

The other workflow you could use is to Derive the imported part into the Part Studio that you want it in:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm

But yes it does sound like it should be as easy as right click > edit in context of the shell part, since you have the assembly all set up already.  If you can see the ghosted in-context face that you want to extrude, you should be able to select it as input to the extrude feature, unless it is not a planar face.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team