Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

total OnShape newbie - need help drawing on imported assemblies

sameer_sheikhsameer_sheikh Member Posts: 8
I am very new to OnShape, having only started using it in the middle of January, and even then, in limited fashion.  I know nothing about design nor do I know anything about anything CAD related, so this was my very first foray into both.  As for what I have managed to learn, well, I don't know how to do much other than create very rudimentary sketches and a even less with respect to extrusion.  I know nothing about creating assemblies, let alone anything about best practices.

I have an assignment where I need to create a wall-climbing robot, which in itself is a monumental task, without being stifled with my extremely limited knowledge of designing parts in OnShape.

What I've done, so far, is imported an assembly of a the Tamiya Tracked Chassis.  Whoever, did work on this did a brilliant job.  Now, what I was hoping and trying to do was create some drawings of additional components that I needed 3D printed.  And this is where I have hit a 100-foot wall.  While, I was able to import the file(s) and have the assembly sitting in my online personal folder, but nothing is doing what I was hoping it would do.

I cannot draw anything.  I can't copy and paste.  I can't move anything between assemblies (is that even a thing that can be done?).  I'm, quite frankly completely stuck, and given my limited knowledge, I am not sure if I even know how to ask questions to get useful feedback or give any pertinent information to help me in my predicament.

I am completely stuck, so I would really appreciate any and all help, keeping in mind that I will probably not know what you're talking about if it requires any knowledge beyond what I have.

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It sounds like you are on a time limit so saying learn.Onshape.com will take you too long right?

If you got time today let me know and I'll help get you moving.

Sounds like there is too much explaining needed to post it all in a thread 
  • sameer_sheikhsameer_sheikh Member Posts: 8
    It sounds like you are on a time limit so saying learn.Onshape.com will take you too long right?

If you got time today let me know and I'll help get you moving.

Sounds like there is too much explaining needed to post it all in a thread 

Much obliged for the offer or help. Yes, unfortunately, I am on a time constraint.  Having said that, I don't mind learning OnShape by using learn.Onshape.com.  Having said that, it looks like my learning path will need to be quite directed because of that time constraint.

Here's the rundown that I have managed to do:

1. I imported Louis Avenant's amazing Tamiya tracked chassis as a "part studio".
    2. I imported two brushless motors as assemblies
    3. I imported two 3-bladed propellers also as assemblies

And that's about as much as I have been able to figure out how to do.

What I need to do - at least what makes sense to me (and apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology) - is the following,

1. I need to use the base of the tracked chassis to create my add-ons that I will have 3d printed as a separate parts
    2. I need to combine everything together, to show the propellers attached to the motors and the motors attached to the add-on I'll be designing

As a bonus, if possible, I'd like to learn how to import screws and add them to the big ol' merged assembly.

If you still have the time to help, I'd be very grateful.

edited April 2020
    Did you import everything to the same document, or multiple documents? 

You should start by impoting everything into an assembly. 

From there you can position everything where you want it using mates. 

Then you can start sketching your parts in a partstudio.

Also screws and other fasteners can be found in the assembly->insert->standard content 
    edited April 2020
    Did you import everything to the same document, or multiple documents?
    To be honest, I am not sure.  As rudimentary as it may seem, how can I tell?  I just clicked on the "+" on the bottom left.  And then I clicked on "insert" on the top left.
    You should start by impoting everything into an assembly. 

From there you can position everything where you want it using mates.
    How would I do this?

Here's a screenshot of what I see.

Ok good they are all in the same document. 

So hit the + and create a new assembly

Now on the top left od the screen is a button called insert. Or just press i

Now you can pick what you want in the assembly. 
    Make sure you are inserting assmeblies when choosing brushless motor and propeller
    Whoa!  That was magic.  I got everything into an assembly.  Suddenly, this seems like it's actually feasible for me!  Thanks a million.

One last thing, and then I outta be golden.

I deleted some parts, which just seemed like squiggly lines, to me, how can I undelete them and move them back into the parts/curves/surfaces list?

You can suppress or delete thoes delete features. Or edit them and change the selection of parts you want deleted 
    Is there any way to make them parts again?  I deleted them when I shouldn't have. 

One more thing.  Is there any way to "fix" everything in one imported part studio?  The Tamiya Tracked Chassis's base plate slides right off off the other components when I try to mate it with the external structures I've created.
    you can use a group mate to quickly combine a group of parts.

if you are still referring to the delete feature on you tree then yes. Removing the delete feature or unselecting the part in the delete feature will restore it.

if you are are referring to anything else they also yes. But you will need to open the versions and history, then find where you deleted your part. then restore it there.