Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Context Origin

dt_userdt_user Member Posts: 8 PRO
When creating a part in context, the I am prompted to set an origin for the part studio to be created. How can I change this origin location once the context is already created?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can’t, that’s why it asks you to define it in the assembly first. The origin is really only a reference location - you could create a point or a mate connector to become your new origin. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    I did this - created a mate connector on the reference part, created the in-context part, but later I modified the original context and updated it, but the origin didn't move to match the new position of the mate connector so the whole model is broken - what did I miss?
  • Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 62 PRO
    I had the same as the above here. Set a mate in the assembly for origin of a new part studio, realsied later I should have flipped the origin of said mate. Flipped it in the assembly, none of the changes propagate to the part studio, and no ability to update the context.

Context assembly primary instance is not set. Finish inserting part or set primary instance of context before updating the assembly context.
  • Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 62 PRO
    The solution seemed to be that once I start inserting parts from the created context into the assembly, then updates happen.