Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal "internal flanges" for gluing?

chad_etzelchad_etzel Member Posts: 4
I have been using the Sheet Metal feature with great success to create some prototypes with cardboard by laser cutting the flat pattern. Currently I am fixing the sides by running hot glue down the seams of the walls, but I am hoping it is possible to add "internal flanges" like you see on papercraft templates, such as this cube. The "flanges" below are meant for gluing the sides together after you cut it out and fold it.

I have tried using the flange feature, but it (probably correctly) prevents me from adding flanges on the inside edge of a model.

Is this possible to achieve with the current sheet metal features? (I'm also not sure what to call these "internal flanges" if they have a proper name)

Link to example document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6be4e3c2fd06d227c1ee0e79/v/a07d5c03b913e0c836ad9471/e/53f2523241152804df37e858

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers