Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Newbie question about triangle shape.

Hi,

I'm unexperienced with OnShape and other CAD-programs. I've tried to make a frame, in that there should be a triangle-shaped hole, a triangle shape needs to fit in in an angle. Also it should be possible to rotate the triangle and fit the shape also. I've managed to create the planes in the right angle. But the size of the triangle isn't right. I'm doing something wrong and probably much to difficult. When I 3D print the frame, the triangle shape doesn't fit in. The shape is to big somehow. 
It is an equilateral triangle with sides of 12,7mm and a height of 11,3mm, to easy fit it should perhaps be 0,1 or 0,2 bigger think.

You can see what I've created so far here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c3ca2ee92cdb8707ecf0c5c9/w/3f9b51d9a96e5db7610f6fd9/e/3ef967bc8f6c7904554af14d

Hope someone will have a look and tells me how to fix this.

Regards,
Erwin

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    it looks like to are doing it right. 

I would say it doesn't fit because your tollerance needs to be bigger. You said your frame should be 12,7mm but you show your triangle with a 13mm side. That  should be plenty. Did you measure your 3D printed parts to verify they are coming  out over-sized? (probably a dumb question, but i figure I'd ask)
  • Options
    erwin_meijerinkerwin_meijerink Member Posts: 2 EDU
    It's not a dumb question, I think I'm making a dumb thinking fault. The triangle shaped parts are existing parts, they are not 3D printed. So I've got the sizes from the actual parts. Measured them multiple times.