Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What Did I Do (to make multiple parts in a Part Studio)?

timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
On my first (Part Studio?) I created an "object" which took multiple sketches and extrusions. As I was building this "object", each step added new parts in the Parts list at the bottom of the (Feature Tree?). These parts were different colors (seen this called the Fruit Loop effect in some searches). I selected all the parts and changed all to the same color. I then found/used the Boolean tool to group all the parts into a single part (now only shows 1 part in the Parts list).

Every Part Studio I've done after the first one (same process with multiple sketches and extrudes) always end in only 1 part and not the multiple parts I experienced in my first trial.

What did I do in the first Part Studio that led to this multi-part outcome (vs. the subsequent Part Studios where I now only get 1 part)?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    After redoing the part where I first experienced this, I found that when I did an Extrude/Remove I ended up with floating elements (think doughnut holes). It is these floating elements that were then listed in the Parts List at the bottom of the Feature Tree? as separate parts/multiple parts now showing. Not sure if this is the same as what you referenced in your reply. but I'm good now with this question.

Note: I did not see the question posted and deleted it from my drafts after I found my answer. Is there a process to recall/delete questions before/after they post to the forum?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    If a new feature intersects an existing part it will add the feature to it by default. In the extrude (etc.) dialog, you will see "New Add Remove Intersect" - set this to New to create a new part. This is covered in the basic training at learn.onshape.com
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    After redoing the part where I first experienced this, I found that when I did an Extrude/Remove I ended up with floating elements (think doughnut holes). It is these floating elements that were then listed in the Parts List at the bottom of the Feature Tree? as separate parts/multiple parts now showing. Not sure if this is the same as what you referenced in your reply. but I'm good now with this question.

Note: I did not see the question posted and deleted it from my drafts after I found my answer. Is there a process to recall/delete questions before/after they post to the forum?