Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to Animate a Pulley Belt

julia_zimmerjulia_zimmer Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I am trying to create a system in which a pulley system will move a slider on a track. Right now I am having trouble animating the pulley and belt. I tried to add a revolution mate to both sides of the pulley system, but when I do that it says it is over defined. Ultimately, I want the pulley to pull up the middle track and to move the slider on the middle track left and right. Please let me know if you can help with this.

Thank you!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f501b1516726db91748c7631/w/8dfd7b4db476a225e79f91d6/e/a6be3ac87a06d5e5614b3ed0 

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Onshape only allows you to animate one mate at a time. So you need to fake the motion in order to show the result you want.

This is not simulation software, so moving the pulleys and belts will have no effect. You could add a relation to your pulleys so they spin during the animation. but that is just for show to convey the Idea that is what is causing the cart to move.

I do not understand how the pulleys will attach or move your object, but you could FIX the bottom cross (to keep things from moving around)
    then create a separate shape, to act like a guiding track. Then have your square top plate follow that track with a tangent mate.

So if you want the plate to shift back and fourth side to side and forward and back at the same rate. Then that would be a circle.
    In that case you can cheat even easier with a spinning "motor" in one of the corners. Then set your pulleys to gear relate to that motor too.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5a435213a5920c2a1d1494aa/w/a5346297e49c83f4e3417128/e/dea54df7f69398f0ecdb9fb9