Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing Typing-Speed Improvement Request

JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
edited May 2020 in Product Feedback
Currently the situation is such that while typing in Drawing notes and custom tables, typing is very slow and I typically have to go back and re-write something because onshape missed some of my keystrokes. And this is not just me mistyping. If I type slower (say, under 3ish keystrokes per second) it generally isn't an issue.

Is this caused by it recording every keystroke in the drawing database so if I keystroke before a response is had back it may miss it?

Edited to add: This seems worse in a custom table (I made it into engineering rev table) than in a note. Notes seem to respond faster.
Edited: Made proper-case title.
Tagged:

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @Jolls don't forget to vote for your own IR ^^
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    @Jolls don't forget to vote for your own IR ^^
    Hah, right. Thanks! I'll go do that now in my other IR. Much appreciated.

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Jolls This is not something we want voting on and would like to log it and get it looked at. I will pull a ticket.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @lougallo - do you think this may be bug? Typing text in notes and tables for drawings has always been pretty slow for me and others I work with. I don't think I've had issues with characters being missed, but I do have to wait for the text to catch up to my typing before I can see if I've made a typo, which can be annoying.
  • sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 20 PRO
    This is soooo slow for me right now. clicking on an item in the table takes over 2 seconds. then it fails to register key presses for a second. it's unbearably slow and its incredibly frustrating. im wokring on a table of over 24 items and i may need to make the table in google sheets and just include a screenshot.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @sam_holland
    In tables, I think you can use Enter and Tab to move around the cells if that is any faster.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Is there any chance a normal text input could be overlaid as a text edit box, rather than in the drawing itself?
    This would make it like how the dimension edit box in a part studio works and possibly make it a lot faster.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Slow note editing speed issues here as well.