Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Basic Sketching Exercise

Ernie_GutierrezErnie_Gutierrez Member Posts: 3
The example exercise is shown as fully defined; however, I don't see that being possible since the inner circle dimension is missing.  When replicating the sketch it only becomes fully defined when a dimension to the inner circle is applied.  Can someone validate the exercise (See 04. Completing A Sketch)? Thank you!

Best Answer

• Ernie_GutierrezErnie_Gutierrez Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Katie, thank you for your prompt response.  I missed the note stating that all 3 vertical lines (50 mm) are of equal length.  That's how the vertical height is defined.  Again, thank you.

Answers

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @Ernie_Gutierrez
    The inner circle has an offset dimension from the outer circle of 35mm. This dimension and the fact that its concentric with the outer circle (since they are both centered at the origin) fully defines the inner circle. Also the outer circle needs tangency constraints to the horizontal lines to define its size. The endpoints of those horizontal lines that are coincident to the outer circle need to be vertical to the origin as well. Look at all the constraints in Step 3 (in the image). My guess is you missed a constraint on that step.
  • Ernie_GutierrezErnie_Gutierrez Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Katie, thank you for your prompt response.  I missed the note stating that all 3 vertical lines (50 mm) are of equal length.  That's how the vertical height is defined.  Again, thank you.