Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I make this parametric? Is it even possible with the current features in onshape?

RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
edited May 2020 in General
I'm trying to make this parametric:

Apparently, sketch linear patterns don't update when you change the variables that they referenced. I made a ringHeight var and a var for the number of rings, and then calculated the gap between rings into a 3rd variable. I then used those 3 inputs to make a sketch and do a linear pattern, but when I change numRings variable the sketch does not update. When I go view the sketch, it appears that the sketch took my variable and then turned it into a constant. This does not happen in linear patterns outside of sketches, but that is the current state of onshape. Is there any way around this problem?

Could I make the top ring, and then do a linear pattern that at the same time reduces the diameter of the rings by x mm at each step interval?

Comments