Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to Mirror a Part, or Duplicate a Part and Fasten it Breaks In Context Modeling

Hi All!

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to utilize mirrored parts - a grate specifically that's on the top and bottom of the assembly.  So ideally they'd be mirrored.  However when I try to copy/paste the "Grate" part and fasten it to the lower side, since there's not a mirror function in the Onshape Assembly Workspace, it breaks the In Context contraints of the other parts.  I've run into it before, where parts shift when I'm trying to navigate and rotate the view - but that's fixed by closing and re-opening the file.  But this time it's broken the constraints and I can't seem to rectify them.  so I'm starting over.......

My workflow is as follows:

1.   Build Part in Context with Assembly

2.  Ctrl+C Ctrl+V part into the asesmbly.  Try to Fasten Mate it in place in the Mirrored position

3.  For some reason I can't get the Mate's to line up anywhere correctly - and even if I get two faces aligned - the 3rd mate will break the previous two..

4.  Delete the part and just draw a secondary part and move on.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.  I used to use Solidworks in College, and even if that's a few years removed, I don't remember ever having these types of issues where contraints break mid workflow.  All sketches are referencing the primary Housing Part, based on the Assembly Origin, and all sketches are fully/correctly constrained.  I'm not super worried about having to manually draw the sheet metal parts over and over again since this is just a personal project for fun.  But when I get into putting the Subassemblies and other components into the Primary Assembly I'm worried it'll be a massive struggle to get stuff lined up - like standardized fan assemblies that are arrayed/dubplicated in multiple places. 

Here's a link to the Rev2 document.  The Grey part is the Housing, and the other metal parts are supposed to be in context based on the origin but they've been shifted down slightly because of the mating issues I was experiencing.  The parts are supposed to be aligned to the top inner face - sitting inside the boundary of the housing.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6c1161dcfb7e5525f8c07f00/w/22e75f0110531f8d2d21ffb9/e/556626f9814dcc084f8e4370

Thanks,

T.

Answers