Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using loft in a circular section

kartik_1kartik_1 Member Posts: 6
edited August 2015 in Using Onshape
Hello,

I am trying to develop a circular geometry as shown in the attached picture. We are not able to close the geometry using the loft procedure, can somebody suggest a solution to the problem?

The highlighted arrows show where we get into problems trying to connect one section to the another. 

Thanks,

Kartik

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kartik_1 I suggest you share your file publicly so the guys here can take better look at the problem, it seems at first looking at your image that the problem might reside in the sketch curve of the loft as is in different planes the transition might not be very smooth.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2015
    I think you need to create two surfaces to get the edge (path) right for sweep, then circular pattern should copy things smoothly..

One surface for marking the curve on circular geometry and one for the shape, sweep on the edge of intersection.

Does this make any sense to you?
    //rami
  • Options
    I'm not that great with creating paths but I gave it a quick try:

//rami
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Might not the best way to create such shape since 3d bends are probably not needed (depends on what we are designing) 
    Anyway, here is link to the model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d29ff8e74a0f49809e533f48/w/48fedb2064cc4f30a27ee6e8/e/e36f139d86934221937a25ba
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @kartik_1
    you need to model the path for a single S shape, in order to make a sweep (not a loft) which can then be circular patterned. But, as 3dcad realises, his method does not quite provide what you want, because from your picture, it looks as though each bend needs to be in a single plane.

So what you need to do is model the 'top' half of the S path, up to exactly half way, as a sketch containing two straight lines and a tangent arc on one plane, then switch to another plane to model the bottom half. The two planes will share a line, and that line will coincide with the 'crossbar' of the S.