Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Do mate connectors serve a purpose in parts studio other than...?

navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Using Onshape
Hi guys besides locate and orient part instances with respect to each other in the assembly tab, do mate connectors serve a purpose in the parts studio only, meaning can they be used somehow in the parts studio ? Thanks.

Reason I`m asking is to better and easily position of the derived parts instead of using the transform tool.  
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1388/derived-parts-studio-feature#latest

But again Parts Studio will become assembly I guess with something like this, not sure if I remember correctly someone I believe said we can get rid of the assembly tab by how the workflow is in OS... :)
Nicolas Ariza V.
Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Thanks a lot @cody_armstrong didn't know I could do that.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    nav said:

But again Parts Studio will become assembly I guess with something like this, not sure if I remember correctly someone I believe said we can get rid of the assembly tab by how the workflow is in OS... :)
    You can Flatten an assembly by exporting to a para-solid and back in as a part studio but you loose links. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Mate connectors are coordinate systems. I'll bet the non-mating uses of them expands as Onshape matures.

I think it's better to have one coordinate system primitive and teach people to create mates between coordinate systems than have a second coordinate system primitive called something else and have people learn yet another primitive. I know it doesn't sound as flash but I think flattening the learning curve is more important.