Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to use a master sketch as reference for multiple parts

As the question implies, I am trying to use one sketch to base multiple parts off of. I have done this successfully in Solidworks: When I change dimensions in the master sketch, it changes all the associated dimensions in the associated parts. 
    I'm currently using the "Derived" tool, but when I make a change to the sketch, the derived sketch remains the same. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the description for the "Derived" tool says that "Changes made to those features in the parent Part Studio will be reflected in the Derive feature."

Best Answer

• Options
    josiah_schumacherjosiah_schumacher Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Answer ✓
    I found out that the sketch was still open, which is why it didn't update. After closing the sketch and going to the other part studio, the derived feature updated.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Is the sketch being derived from another document? If so, you'll need to version the sketch document before it will show as out of date in the documents it is being derived into (then update the version in those docs).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    I haven't tried this across multiple documents. It might work well. Try using global variables here.
  • Options
    josiah_schumacherjosiah_schumacher Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Answer ✓
    I found out that the sketch was still open, which is why it didn't update. After closing the sketch and going to the other part studio, the derived feature updated.
  • Options
    Mr_GKMr_GK Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Hi @josiah_schumacher

I use to create master sketches and parts based on them. But I only apply it using a single part studio and creating all components inside it.

Spreading derived sketches to multiple documents can create some troubles for you. As soon as you modify the main sketch document, you will need to update a few references in different locations.

For 3d Skeleton modeling, I use to give this name for this modeling technique, I believe that is recommended to create all components together and managing them that way. All components are managed together but can be used separately.

Please, take a look at my document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/87b92e0d2e75f7888c1abdd2/w/5164382dabb149ba4a9d40af/e/d3b1057e648448b66858b5ff