Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Composite Parts and Inherited Materials/Mass Properties

david_gregorydavid_gregory Member Posts: 14 PRO
Hello-

I think this is a feature request, but am unsure.  So I'll start with a question.

Is there a way for composite parts to inherit the material assignments of their constituent parts?   As is, i think I have to assign a single material to the new composite part.    This doesnt quite work well for the ways that I'm using it.

Consider a spark plug - the body might be steel, the center electrode copper or nickel, the insulator alumina.   Its not something that you really want to be an assembly, a composite part seems to be the best way to handle a "non-separable" assembly.  But once you create the composite part, you lose all the information about the pieces that make it up.   Generally, not a big deal, but the case I'm concerned with is calculated mass - i'd rather be able to assign the individuals their materials and have mass calculated properly for the composite part.

Is there a better way to do this?  Or is it reasonable to think that composite parts could inherit mass properties.

Comments