Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I'm working the tutorial Introduction to Assembly Design of which I show the screenshot of where I a

Robert01Robert01 Member Posts: 22

Best Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    They are showing you that you can change the center of influence based on the position of the manipulator's origin.

Basically you drag the center circle of the manipulator, then it snaps to a point on a face, then you can move the part relative to that point.

Answer ✓
    it should be a single left click-hold-drag.

It sounds like you are experiencing a few performance bottlenecks. 1st is the computer age, it likely has low end graphics from 10 years ago right? Also internet latency.

if you open a document then press "command+D" (i think that's mac speak for CTRL+D) Then you will see your stats.

What we are looking for here is the ping time. Anything over 100ms is going to start feeling slow and laggy on a slower computer. 

If you cannot get the simple universal joint part to drag around, then you may want to give up, or buy a newer system, or it could be the internet in your area.
    Your computer may just be at the threshold of minimum spec.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Try Fusion360 or sketchup, being on the desktop that should eliminate the latency issue of your internet. But those are fairly easy to learn like Onshape, but you will lose a lot of features that are inherent in a cloud app like Onshape.

If you are doing this just for entertainment, maybe the collaboration tools, featurescript etc. don't matter for you anyway.

Answers

Answer ✓
    They are showing you that you can change the center of influence based on the position of the manipulator's origin.

Basically you drag the center circle of the manipulator, then it snaps to a point on a face, then you can move the part relative to that point.

• Robert01Robert01 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks but maybe my issue is the darn mac mouse I'm using. Just grabbing and dragging anything is a huge  ordeal. First, I can't tell which kind of clicking works, double, single, left side, right side, combinations ect. It's a crap shoot. Second, if it does give me a dragging symbol, I have to wait 30 seconds for the darn thing to move an inch and it sometimes just disappears. What looks so easy here and in tutorials doesn't work on my mac. I'm using OS10 but the machine is 2012 era and the mouse has one button. I'm ready to give up im so frustrated. 
    Answer ✓
    it should be a single left click-hold-drag.

It sounds like you are experiencing a few performance bottlenecks. 1st is the computer age, it likely has low end graphics from 10 years ago right? Also internet latency.

if you open a document then press "command+D" (i think that's mac speak for CTRL+D) Then you will see your stats.

What we are looking for here is the ping time. Anything over 100ms is going to start feeling slow and laggy on a slower computer. 

If you cannot get the simple universal joint part to drag around, then you may want to give up, or buy a newer system, or it could be the internet in your area.
    Your computer may just be at the threshold of minimum spec.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Try Fusion360 or sketchup, being on the desktop that should eliminate the latency issue of your internet. But those are fairly easy to learn like Onshape, but you will lose a lot of features that are inherent in a cloud app like Onshape.

If you are doing this just for entertainment, maybe the collaboration tools, featurescript etc. don't matter for you anyway.

• Robert01Robert01 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks! I just want to be clear, my issues are not issues with Onshape, they are issues with my understanding of how to use my system I believe. I think Onshape is fantastic and I truly appreciate that they allow users like me to use it free! BTW. my ping time <100ms.