Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Where is the Booean Tool in Assemblies?

Robert01Robert01 Member Posts: 22
I want to merge two parts in Assemblies but can't seem to find the Boolean tool? It seems only to be in the parts studio but I have only one part in each parts studio because I thought thats to way its supposed to be done?

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    There are no modeling tools in assembly. you will need to derive parts in a part studio or create an in-context reference from the assembly
  • Robert01Robert01 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks. I'm trying to create a part with a void inside it for a volume flow region for Simscale. 
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    edited August 2020
    Robert01 said:
    I want to merge two parts in Assemblies but can't seem to find the Boolean tool? It seems only to be in the parts studio but I have only one part in each parts studio because I thought thats to way its supposed to be done?
    Actually, one of the many awesome things in Onshape is that you can and should (if applicable, like here) make multiple parts in the same Part Studio. Have a look here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch.htm?tocpath=Part Studios|_____0 and here: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/onshape-fundamentals-cad

Edit: and for a void, you can use the shell tool
    Thanks but what is confusing is that when I make a part, I am using the origin and several tools use the origin. If I make more parts, they are all sitting on top of each other at the origin?  It's hard to make a part away from the origin with the same dexterity so I'm confused. Another thing that would make things a lot easier is a grid in Sketch so I could see what the distance relationships are. 
    edited August 2020
    @Robert01
    Just design the primary part at the origin, then build the other parts off of that in assembled position.

A part does not have an origin, just the partstudio and assembly.  If you want to define a local part origin you can add a mate connector to each part in the partstudio. But that usually isn't necessary 
    edited August 2020
    Thanks, but still, it is easier to lay out a part around the origin point in the sketch plane is it not? For example, making a circle is harder if you can't use the function that uses the origin and the radius. 
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    Robert01 said:
    Thanks, but still, it is easier to lay out a part around the origin point in the sketch plane is it not? For example, making a circle is harder if you can't use the function that users the origin and the radius. 
    Totally easier, yes. I think what @john_mcclary is trying to say, is that if parts have a relationship together, then make them in the same part studio. If they don't, then make a separate part studio for each. See for example this document, where they have a relationship together: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/733b54799eb8f50c56ae6149/w/99f9831e4b15357ee1dca12c/e/f967d2493d3dadb4d5d55b95

Resultado de imagen para gif example
    it's all about whichever workflow is easier for you.

Really isn't any different modeling off of another part rather than the origin. In fact it can be a lot easier because you can do a lot more from a single feature.

Example, you sketch points for some clearance holes on a part. Then use the same sketch for the tapped holes on the bottom part. Of course you can do both the clearance and tapped hole in the same hole feature by choosing 'blind in last' as well.

It's too easy in some cases, you really need to know when it's time to stop modeling parts in the same studio and start a new part studio.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @Robert01

Like @john_mcclary has said. It really is no big thing to model parts that are not at the origin

Here’s a circle that was sketched off of origin. The center point was aligned with the right and top of the blue part. And it was used to subtract from the blue part

Thanks. BTW, your interface looks totally different than mine!
    He is on mobile
    Awsome!