Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Featurescript: Captive Nut

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 571 PRO
Captive nut makes it easy to add screw/nut joints to parts.

→ Here's a link to a video tour of the feature.

→ Go here to add the feature.

Below is an illustration of the three main insertion styles that can be achieved with the feature. Use it and let me know what you think!
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Fractal
Instagram: @evan.reese.designs

Comments

• alnis_smidchensalnis_smidchens Member Posts: 227 EDU
    This will make all of my Autodesk Inventor buddies so jealous. I'm looking forward to using it! It would have saved a lot of work in my previous robotics competition season. I hope to use it for more robotics projects in the near future!
    Get in touch: [email protected] | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | My YouTube channel (I make tutorial videos for Onshape & Inventor): https://www.youtube.com/c/AlnisSmidchens
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 571 PRO
    This will make all of my Autodesk Inventor buddies so jealous.
    tell them to write a macro :D
  • matthew_stewart580matthew_stewart580 Member Posts: 1
    the flip z direction doesn't seem to do anything. Im trying to put nuts into the top of the part, but it seems to leave hole through the bottom of the part not the top.

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 157 PRO
    @Evan_Reese, great work!  For in-house printing this looks fabulous.  Have you had any success with commercial printing vendors (e.g. Xometry) on designs with embedded nuts, particularly those with support block inserts?

I'm trying to imagine how the printing cycle pause points might be conveyed to a vendor.  In a drawing?
    the flip z direction doesn't seem to do anything. Im trying to put nuts into the top of the part, but it seems to leave hole through the bottom of the part not the top.

do you mean the arrows next to "Printer Z direction"? I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you, but I just tested on mine and it flips. Try updating your feature. It looks like you're using an old version.
    @Evan_Reese, great work!  For in-house printing this looks fabulous.  Have you had any success with commercial printing vendors (e.g. Xometry) on designs with embedded nuts, particularly those with support block inserts?

I'm trying to imagine how the printing cycle pause points might be conveyed to a vendor.  In a drawing?
    I don't think I'd try the embedded style with a 3rd party. I'd design it differently, say for heat-set inserts, which Xometry will install for you.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 157 PRO
    @Evan_Reese, that's savvy business strategy!  You know the customer will come back to you when they need replacement parts printed;)