Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there something about boolean features that make them unsuitable for mirroring and patterning?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I am attempting to replicate a feature created via a boolean on the opposite side of the part.

Here is an image of a simplified example of what I am attempting....

I have also tried mirroring but that also does not work.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    There may be something specific about boolean that is preventing this.

But boolean in built into mirror and pattern also. So you can bypass this issue by mirroring or patterning the part you used for your boolean, then choose remove/add/intersect in the mirror or pattern feature.

Mirror won't remove the first instance though. so you will need to boolean remove that separate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Remember the boolean must use a body to work with. When you mirror the boolean feature, what body is onshape using as the tool on the other side of the part? There is none. You must also select the extrude feature in the feature mirror for it to work appropriately. 

Alternatively, a face mirror/pattern would be more performant with more complex features.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09eb93fac4bead5e071c5474/w/215b312d3838152630afea1d/e/adb091141462cac76ffe3b85

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Selecting the extrude also isn't intuitive,  can there be a more clear error message for this?