Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I use the Boolean Subtract function to create a Wind Tunnel with a fuselage inside?

brad_dbrad_d Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hi,

I have two parts (part 1 = fuselage, part 2 = wind tunnel). Part 2 I created by extruding a rectangle on the front plane of the fuselage. I want the fuselage to be positioned inside the wind tunnel part for CFD analysis (ie so that the wind tunnel is hollow and the fuselage is a solid part inside).
Which part should be selected for the Tools and Target options under the boolean function?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Sounds like you want to 'shell' part2, or edit part2's sketch and draw another square inside to represent the wall thickness.

Boolean union will just delete the fuselage
    Boolean subtract tool: fuselage target: tunnel will give you a negitive mold of the fuselage inside a block.

Boolean subtract tool: tunnel target: fuselage will delete the fuselage

Boolean intersect will just delete the tunnel.
  • Options
    brad_dbrad_d Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thanks John will give that a go - should solve my problem.