Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I consolidate a sketch shape?

frits_garrerfrits_garrer Member Posts: 3
Ik have a shape in my sketch which is made out of multiple splines and some lines. It is a whole, because I can make a boolean of it. But as soon as I want to place it an exact distance from something else, with the dimension tool, the shape doesn't hold its shape, the splines are left on the original location and the lines are moved to the new location. How can I consolidate this shape to be this and nothing else?

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    translate your sketch. I think it's under the sketch pattern drop down.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    I think you're looking for something like a "Sketch Group" or "Sketch Block" which doesn't exist yet in Onshape (I know I'd use it often if it did). @billy2
    is right that the transform tool can help you move everything all together, but it won't help you get an exact dimension to something else. For that, you'd need to fully constrain the spline and lines with dimensions and constraints. It sounds like they do form a closed shape, but might not actually be attached (constrained) together since the lines move and the splines don't. If it's a doc you can share, I'm happy to take a look.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    frits_garrerfrits_garrer Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for your answer.
    It's about the last sketch in line. I've done a lot of restrains to it. I've managed to make it work for the X axis (currently 100mm from to other object), but the Y axis is still a mess (currently 73.9mm from the other object). Besides placing even more (and making it slower to calculate) dimensions to restrain it, I wouldn't know what to do. Consolidating sketches, objects, parts is a real miss if you ask me. It should be in line with versioning of documents and really plays a big part in an Agile / Scrum workflow I think.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    I agree that it would be great to have a way to group sketch items together somehow. If you're looking for a way to move the entire sketch around without defining all of it, you could also create the sketch on a mate connector, then move the mate connector around, which will move the sketch entities.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @frits_garrer, alternatively consider applying geometric and/or dimensional constraints to the entities in question.  Think of the constraints as the language to express your design intent.