Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Variables and driver/ driven dimensions

Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
So I've been playing with funicular polygon sketches and it would be amazing if I could take the dimensions from the diagram which are all dependent on the F1 and F2 and display these.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/30632144ce1febd02d23f53f/w/279fa6d817d5712f10a41d7a/e/758d3241e9b203083846ed97

I can set a dimension to be driven by a variable, I like this!
Can I then get dimensions dependant on those variables to display anywhere/to appear in a table?

Is this feature script territory?

Best Answers

Answers

• Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    edited August 2020
    That's good, that's really good!  Thank you :)
    So there is no way plonk that into a dynamic table/ spreadsheet type thing?
    But thanks, that's really helpful!
    I can use that this now as an example for my students on how to graphically analyse a simple frame!

Putting the 'fun' in funicular!
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    Cheers for that.  I think that's set up now to analyse a simple frame and reaction forces as well as the force in each member of the structure and the entire thing is driven by the load value F_1 and F_2.  For a full house, it needs to say if each member is compression or tension but as another teaching diagram, it'll do for now.  
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited August 2020
    Well if you want to spit out engineering calculations based off of the measured values...

You could create a custom table and read all of the variables from the part studio, then export that table however you want

here is some sample code for a custom table you can copy and experiment with
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ae128fca39a1d825a3c5d427/v/c5a2dfaa44fa712f8445f53f/e/3068316aed3ce312a6d15462