Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Auto-snap circular pattern when drawn on origin

HansPeterHaastrupHansPeterHaastrup Member Posts: 5 EDU
edited September 2020 in Product Feedback

When making a circular pattern, the center starts at the origin. if this is not changed and the pattern is created the pattern is centered on the origin but not constrained to the origin.

It would be nice if the tool checked if the center was located at the origin and if it was, added the coincident constraint to the center. Otherwise the center can move later on.

I recognize that a counter-argument to this would be that it would be harder to change the center later on, but since the center location and the origin are located on top of each other it will still require some tweaking to get a hold of the center point before one can snap it back onto the origin.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @HansPeterHaastrup Do you typically grab the center and drag it off and back on today?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    HansPeterHaastrupHansPeterHaastrup Member Posts: 5 EDU
    lougallo said:
    @HansPeterHaastrup Do you typically grab the center and drag it off and back on today?

Hey - sorry I'm not used to being in the forums.. (a year since last!)
    The reason I posted this was that I usually forget to grab the center and drag it back on to the origin.
    I'm teaching students using onshape and I see this behaviour all the time - they simply forget to take the center of rotation into consideration.